Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engraved font problem

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Tref67
573 Views, 3 Replies

Engraved font problem

Gentlefolk,

I have a problem... I have a component created with the word "Spike" engraved in big bold text on the side. It was created years ago on Inventor... probably 2010 or there abouts. Since then my machine has changed, but now I come to edit that component, on a new PC and using Inventor 2013. The problem is, when I first opened the component, a message flashed up and dissappeared saying something about the font used, but then carried on a displayed the component correctly. However, when I editted the part (nothing to do with the engraving) it changed the font. I discovered the font used (Arial Bold Rounded) wasn't loaded onto my new machine, but I have now corrected that, however, now even if I try to recreate teh text for teh engraving, when it engraves it it changes the font. The problem is that I need it to be rounded as this is being machined, and teh mill cannot machine such large text with sharp corners that Inventor is reverting to. Note the font looks correct in the sketch. I have rummaged through "tools" as far as I can see (and through previous posts here) but I can't find anything which has an effect or is relevant. Can anyone throw some light on this problem?

Many thanks,

Tref.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Tref67

I've had this come up before.

IIRC, I had to roll up the EOP to just after the extrusion feature, then delete the extrusion - but not the consumed sketch - and then re-do the extrusion from the original sketch, then roll the EOP back to the end.  You might have to fix a few other things too, if other features were dependent on the original text extrusion.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Tref67
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I'm amazed, but yes, this worked! I was fortunate that it was the last feature on the component anyway. I dead to think how you found that out, and how long it took you to figure it, but thank you very much!

Message 4 of 4
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Tref67

There was a little bit of swearing involved, I can tell you that much.

It seems that, so long as you don't try to edit the sketch, Inventor won't check for the presence of the font.  Once you edit the sketch, though, you'll be in trouble.  If you open a part and you find that it uses fonts that you don't have installed, make sure you install them before you mess with the sketches!

Glad it worked out for you.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report