Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning between different extrusions on one part

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
BillMazza
367 Views, 11 Replies

Dimensioning between different extrusions on one part

How do I dimension, and assign editable parameters between different extrusions on one part, to change the height, width, etc?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: BillMazza

Simply name the dimensions as you create them, then you can use them in formulas for other dimensions.

If you don't remember the names simply click on the black arrow to the right of the dimension dialog box and it will give you a list of your named parameters.

Named Parameters.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
BillMazza
in reply to: JDMather

What I meant to say is that when I'm not in sketch mode, and I need to adjust the height, or width of a support for example, which has different extrusions associated with it, i know about user parameters to adjust height or width, for one extrusion, but how do I add a dimension, outside of sketch mode, which I can assign a user parameter to, that will adjust the height, and move associated objects with it, or is that not possible, and I need to refer back to constraints between different extrusions?

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

and...

Function.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
JDMather

BillMazza wrote:...
 i know about user parameters

I guess I don't understand the question.  Are you familiar with iFeatures and iLogic?

Can youi post a file(s) and explain what you want to change.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Work Plane.

Message 7 of 12
BillMazza

I was able to get the height to work properly. I assigned a dimension to a sketch, put in 'height', and the other extrusions associated with that part, moved accordingly when I adjusted the height.

I do have a seperate question if you don't mind. I offset a workplane from my leg support, and mirrored that leg support to the other side of the work plane.

How do I adjust the width in between the leg supports? If I delete the workplane used to mirror the support, then the mirrored support goes with it. If I create another workplane perpendicular to the 'mirror work plane', I can only create a driven dimension between the supports.

Any hints? should I have mirrored the support differently?

Message 8 of 12
JDMather

@BillMazza wrote:

I do have a seperate question if you don't mind.

Inventor version?

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
BillMazza

2012 version. In fact, it's the factory design suite, which has ACAD, ACAD Mech, Inventor 2012, Navisworks, etc...

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

I have to go do my regular job right now, but I started to work up an example and realized there must be at least half a dozen solutions.  Can you attach your real file here - I hate to spend time going through each one of my imagined solutions only to have you shoot each one down.

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
BillMazza

Well, I hate to bother you at all JD Mather....but in between many other responsibilities I have at my job including estimating, project mgmt, and systems design, Inventor only takes a small fraction of my responsibilities, that's why it may seem 'simple' to you, it may not be to others, which is why we have the forums so folks more knowledgeable can answer questions, MINUS the attitude.

Message 12 of 12
JDMather

@BillMazza wrote:

... in between many other responsibilities I have at my job ......so folks more knowledgeable can answer questions, MINUS the attitude.

....and I have nothing better to do.  All I requested was a file to speed things up.  Good luck!

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report