Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistant - Dont rename model tree names

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tuliobarata
3967 Views, 3 Replies

Design Assistant - Dont rename model tree names

Good morning all, 

Here when i wanna use a existent project to make a new one, i copy all the files that I need to a new project, then I use Design Assistant to rename all files, everything works fine this way. I just saw now a little 'problem' that doesnt bother me, but can be a problem to other ppl who open this project and see the difference.

The problem:

When I rename the file name from Design Assistant (opening it from the top assembly), all the parts get its PART NUMBER updated and all the files are renamed too, but...when i open the assembly, in the Model tree, no parts have the name updated, all keeps the old name, but if i open the part from the model tree, i open the correct part already updated and renamed, so, its just the model tree displays name that are incorrect. Is that known ? Is there a solution ? Or am I doing something wrong to copy or rename files ?

I realized that is happens most when i rename files from a top assembly with subassemblies. Sometimes when i use just one assemblie with just parts inside it, everything goes normal.

I'm using IV 2013 Pro SP 1.1 Update 1

Thanks

Túlio Barata

IV 2013
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
coreyparks
in reply to: tuliobarata

I use design assistant all the time and I only see this issue occasionally.  This occurs due to a couple of different things that I know of, though there may be more reasons.  First, is the names of custom parts placed from the content center don't seem to update.  Second, parts created from the frame generator don't update.  Third, parts that have been manually renamed in the browser or have been renamed using some custom VBA will not always change upon a rename in design assistant.  These are the ones I have run accross but like I said there may be others.  You can rename them automatically based on some different criteria inside Inventor.  See the pic below.Rename browser.PNG

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: tuliobarata

It's a problem for me in a different way-- I don't want the part number to change when I change the filename, so every single file requires a right click>Reset in the part number after I change the file name.  Gets really tedious!

Concerning your problem with the Assembly browser names, I am not seeing this.  All the file names in my assembly are updated to the new names.  Is it possible that someone or some add-in or some iLogic rule  is overriding those names in the assembly?  Try deleting one of the names in the Assembly browser and see if it is re-created properly.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 4
tuliobarata
in reply to: SBix26

THanks for both guys!

I guess , this was a problem of communication here in the office. I spoke with some people here, and they said that renamed some files in the model tree, right in the assemblies that i was trying to use with Design Assist. so, good to know about that, lets see if that doesnt happen anymore, its annoying.

Thanks very much, again!

Túlio Barata.

IV 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report