Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom profile trim to frame error

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
SoulAsasin
700 Views, 9 Replies

Custom profile trim to frame error

Hello all.

At my company we have a custom CC library with custom profiles for use in frage generator. We are having a problem with one of the frames. Everything goes well when the profiles is inserted.

But when I try to "trim to frame" the intersections of two profiles, it does not trim them correctly. It trims them in a 45 degree angle. As you can see on the attached jpg file.

I tryed everything. Checked the sketch, deleted the profile, republished the part. I am out of ideeas. We have more profiles like this, but we do not have this problem with them.

I attached a CC library with this profile in it. Can you please take a look at it. Maybe somebody can figure it out.

Thanks.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: SoulAsasin

This may be a dumb question, but are you sure that in the trim it is not selecting one of the angled faces as the trim face?  Maybe try using Trim/Extend on this one, and manually select one of the angled faces, and then again with one of the perpendicular faces... might help you diagnose if that's what is happening in the Trim to Frame.

Message 3 of 10
SoulAsasin
in reply to: cbenner

Hey.

Thanks for the reply. I am sure that the trim to frame is selecting one of the angled faces as trim surface by default. But, I want to know why, because this is not normal. We have more than 25 this kind of profiles, all published by me, and we do not have this problem.

Trim/Extend works ok, but it would be great if trim to frame would work as welll, becasue it trims both of the profiles, and this helps on productivity.... somethimes.

Thanks anyway.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 4 of 10
dtrappe

Did you ever get a solution for this??

Message 5 of 10
SoulAsasin
in reply to: dtrappe

Hey.

Are you experiencing the same problem?

No. Unfortunatly I did not find a solution or explication for this...

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 6 of 10
blair

Wouldn't the "Miter"work for this?

I remember a couple of versions back, the F-G would through hickups on some stuff I did. Seemed to improve over the last number of releases.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 10
dtrappe

Yes, 

It lools like exactly the same thing.

Made a bunch of 8020 profiles, and about half the time it does the thing that you have in your pictures and at other times, it behaves fine.

Seems to be no rhyme or reason, although there must be something.

Seems to be more problematic on more complex profiles, so I wonder if it is trying to trim to one of the interior portions of the extrusion.  

Trimming to face would work I think, but there are so many faces on the 8020 stuff that is is really immpractical.

I have been just shortening the lengths as a work around, but the trim functionality would really be faster.

Message 8 of 10
SoulAsasin

Hy

i am asure that IV somehow considerres an inner surface as the trim surface. The strange thing is that I made about 25 such custom frame profiles like this, with similar forme. This is the only one that has problems.

I am using trim trim/extend instead of trim to frame.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 9 of 10
ahmadtibrahim

Hi, i never had this issue in the past with 8020 Profiles but recently after using the new version of Inventor it stopped working. I cant select profile under Trim to face option, its selecting only a surface of the profile. Did you comeup with a solution for this issue? 

I mainly work with 8020 profiles.

Message 10 of 10

Hi! If possible, please share the files here (Pack&Go and zipped). Your issue may or may not be the same as the original thread. Without the files, it is impossible to tell.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report