Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot constrain or dimension reference or fixed geometry

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
RRisley
2572 Views, 17 Replies

Cannot constrain or dimension reference or fixed geometry

I've come across this many times now. When in an assembly, I create a sketch. I then try to project geometry and I will sometimes get this error:

"Cannot constrain or dimension reference or fixed geometry."

Any idea why I can't project edges/faces/points of certain parts?
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: RRisley

Could you post a picture? Is it that you can't pick those edges from those parts or you can pick but the projection fails. Thanks.

shekar
Message 3 of 18
RRisley

I can pick the edges, but the projection fails. I will post a picture when it happens again.
Message 4 of 18
RRisley

I've attached a screenie of my most recent occurence. I'm trying to project the hole that is highlighted. This hole is hole9 just for reference. So I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to project it. I actually just checked and I can't project ANYTHING from the the assembly I am working in (6260-12-03-03).

Any thoughts?
Message 5 of 18
R.Corriveau

Just to clarify. The problem you are having is with part projection when editing a part in the context of the assembly.
Not with Assembly sketches. Message was edited by: Rick Corriveau
Message 6 of 18
RRisley

Well... I suppose in this instance I am editing a sketch in an assembly that is in an assembly. I don't know if this qualifies as cross-part projection, as the only parts I'm sketching on/projecting are in the assembly that I created the sketch in. I AM able to project from parts outside of the assembly I'm sketching in.
Message 7 of 18
R.Corriveau

Ah I see. Assembly in an assembly editing assembly sketches.
Sorry. Looked at your browser pic and thought those were parts.
Never tried this since I don't use assembly sketches.
Message 8 of 18
RRisley

We use them mostly for weldments or altering purchased components. But I can get the error in almost any assembly sketch, not just sketching in assemblies while in assemblies. (In case someone other than Rick reads this and wonders, since I realize Rick wasn't questioning that.)
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

Hi RRisley,

On looking into the code this error comes up when trying to create some kind of constraint. We check if all the geometries in the sketch are fixed. If they are then we disallow this constrain creation. I understand this is not helpful.

It is possible we are incorrectly detecting this condition and throwing an error. To verify this, could you please send me the dataset to shekar.subATautodesk.com. Thanks.

shekar
Message 10 of 18
Chassuer
in reply to: Anonymous

I am having the same issue. But it is only on my computer. I can go to other computers and open the same file and it lets me select the edges I need, but when I go back to my computer it says    "Cannot constrain or dimension reference or fixed geometry"

Is there a setting for this or a hot fix?

Message 11 of 18
kprom

This bug was fixed in 2009, but has returned in 2013.  It is intermittent, but happens all the time.  It pops up when making a sketch when editing in an assembly.  When you open it seperately it works fine.  This is exteremely frustrating for those of us who edit in assemblies a lot.

Message 12 of 18
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kprom

Hi! Do you have an example exhibiting the behavior repeatedly? If yes, could you share it with me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 18
kprom
in reply to: johnsonshiue

It's not a particular part, it just happens intermittentlly.

Message 14 of 18
DGodwin-XRG

Old post but still happens consistently for me. At least in Inventor 2020, I'm finding that "Control+Click" while selecting edges allows me to project geometry into the sketch in order to position sketch features, whereas simply selecting the geometry like I should be able to results in this error. It makes an adaptive construction edge in my current settings, which can be cleared and locked manually if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Message 15 of 18
johnsonshiue
in reply to: DGodwin-XRG

Hi! Do you mind sharing an example that exhibits the behavior? Either the geometry is sick or the source geometry does not have the proper tag. I would like to know which is the case.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 18
DGodwin-XRG

@johnsonshiue 

I've attached a simple Weldment with an included skeleton part file and Frame Generator subassembly which exhibits the behavior. Screenshot with error included in the zip. Note, that I've experienced this bug in the parent assembly as well, but in this attached case I'm finding it only in the frame subassembly "Machining" area. Closing and reopening the assembly maintains the error persistently for me.

The use case is mag-drilling holes in a welded frame, trying to use the frame edges to dimension features to.

Workflow:

At the assembly level (in this case, Frame subassembly level, double-clicking on "Machining" to enter the machining operations.

Insert sketch onto frame member face, select "Project Geometry" command, click on any edge -> error appears.

Retry, but this time Control+Click the geometry and the construction line appears, and is adaptive.

Cheers

Darsey

Message 17 of 18
johnsonshiue
in reply to: DGodwin-XRG

Hi Darsey,

Many thanks for sharing the files and the findings! I tried it on Inventor 2020.4 on my machine. I did see the error message when the following option is unchecked.

Tools -> App Options -> Assembly -> Enable associative edge/loop geometry projection during in-place modeling

If it is checked, the error will not come up. Could you confirm?

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 18
DGodwin-XRG

@johnsonshiue 

That's correct, if I check the "associative projections in in-place..." box it works, probably explaining why the "control+click" worked as a work-around.

Without that checked, sketching in the assembly environment still makes associative projections as needed, just not in the weldment machining environment. If possible, I'd prefer to leave in-context part editing have non-associative projections by default, which is why I leave those two associative geometry projection options unchecked. Just my preference, I understand everyone's different.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report