Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Copy and Paste Sketches From AutoCAD to Inventor 2014 - Windows 8.1

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed
5049 Views, 24 Replies

Cannot Copy and Paste Sketches From AutoCAD to Inventor 2014 - Windows 8.1

I have recently received an upgraded computer for my workplace with Windows 8.1 SP1 installed.  The details of which are in my signature.  

My issue is that once this suite was installed on the new machine with Windows 8, I can no longer simply import a sketch into Inventor which I have drawn in AutoCAD Mechanical via the clipboard (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V).  The process is as follows:

1. Draw image or open existing within AutoCAD Mechanical
  2. Copy linework (single layer, single polyline) from a .DWG file
  3. Within Inventor, create new part
  4. Create new 2D sketch, then select plane.
  5. Attempt to paste via clipboard linework from ACM. 

The machine attempts to execute (Windows mouse cursor changes to spinning wheel, etc) and does not error.  There is nothing pasted, however.

Steps I have taken so far:

• Multiple default setting "Repairs" to Autodesk Suite
  • Multiple complete fresh installs to Autodesk Suite and used default profile and setup
  • Updates to newest graphics card drivers
  • Update to Windows 8.1 SP1
  • Update Inventor to SP1

Has anyone an idea of what could be causing this?  I have searched for several days through various forums and find no relavent help.  

-------------------------------------
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 - SP1
Intel Core i7-4770 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM | 256GB LITEON SDD
AMD Radeon HD8490 1GB 900MHz
Autodesk Design Suite 2014 (Specifically AM 2014 and Inventor 2014 - SP1, Update 2)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
pendean
in reply to: Otto_B_Ashamed

You are posting in the completely wrong forum.
Post here instead: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24
Message 3 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed
in reply to: pendean

Although I don't doubt I've somehow missed the mark on which forum to post to, I have no idea why you would direct me toward an installation forum.  I had no issues with the installation at all.  I can use all other parts of each program as intended except for the copy and paste between the two mentioned once all is up and running.

Am I missing something?  What does this have to do with installation and licensing?

Autodesk Design Suite 2014 (Specifically AM 2014 and Inventor 2014 - SP1, Update 2)
Message 4 of 25
JDMather

I don't see where you have indicated installation of  Update 2 for SP1?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed
in reply to: JDMather

Update 2 for Inventor SP1?  I have not.  Is there any way you could link me to it?  I've explored and thought I had the "latest" version.  

Also, in response to my earlier post, it appears the first Expert Elite simply pasted the wrong link in his response.  Regardless, thank you all for getting me to the correct forum.  

Message 6 of 25

Update:

I have just installed Inventor's SP1 Update 2 and after a complete restart (default settings on both AutoCAD Mechanical and Inventor), the issue persists.  

Also to note, I cannot import ACAD .DWG files into Inventor either.  After selecting a file name, absolutely nothing happens.  

I am going to swap my current graphics card for another I have to see if the issue remains.  If it does, I have to assume this is an incompatibility issue with Windows 8.1.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Message 7 of 25

We have also the same problem with Inventor 2014 Professional and Windows 8.1. On an ohther Windows 8.1 with IV2014 Pro we haven`t this Probelm. 

Message 8 of 25

Same problem here....

Message 9 of 25

Still encountering this issue.  If more users are encountering this, I have a more difficult time thinking it is something wrong I have done, and am leaning toward incompatibility issue.  Is anyone working on this?  Are we ignoring it until after the release of 2015?  I require this function (original functionality) for work and would greatly appreciate additional feedback.  

I am willing to try anything requested of me by AutoDesk personnel.  

Thank you.

Message 10 of 25
mrattray

I wish I could help you, but I'm still on Win 7 and do not have this problem...

Edit: Have you attempted to pursue this through your VAR or through a support ticket with Autodesk (if you have access)?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:

I wish I could help you, but I'm still on Win 7 and do not have this problem...

Edit: Have you attempted to pursue this through your VAR or through a support ticket with Autodesk (if you have access)?

I appreciate your concern, Mike.  No, I have not attempted a support ticket or through an account rep.  Do you think this is the best path considering my situation?  

My question is, then: isn't there a group within AutoDesk which tests new product on the newest software platform available from one of the largest OS companies (Microsoft)?  I would think somewhere someone has encountered this simple, yet largely impacting issue.  If you subtract frustration from my comments (forgive me), does this not make sense?

Message 12 of 25
JDMather

@Otto_B_Ashamed wrote:

My question is, then: isn't there a group within AutoDesk which tests new product on the newest software platform available from one of the largest OS companies (Microsoft)? ...

When was Inventor 2014 released?
When was Windows 8.1 released?

I suspect if it is a problem solvable with a SP or Update - the fix will be forthcoming.  But they cannot release something that might break 10 other things that didn't exist (in current OS) when 2014 was released.

Can you use Inventor sketching enviroment as your sketcher rather than AutoCAD?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 13 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed

JDMather wrote:

When was Inventor 2014 released?
When was Windows 8.1 released?

I suspect if it is a problem solvable with a SP or Update - the fix will be forthcoming.  But they cannot release something that might break 10 other things that didn't exist (in current OS) when 2014 was released.

Can you use Inventor sketching enviroment as your sketcher rather than AutoCAD?

Unfortunately, no.  I have pre-existing drawings and line work from AutoCAD which I am converting to 3 dimensional objects.  I am accomplishing this either by copying and pasting or importing .DWG files.  Neither of which work currently.  

I understand timing issues regarding releases.  I most certainly understand how patches and fixes have to be rigorously tested so as not to break or negatively impact other areas.  What I'm referring to is the fact that this glitch eliminates an entire area of workflow between the two verticals while it remains an issue.  I think I would be contented to know it was being addressed in an upcoming patch.  In the meantime, of course, I'll attempt to find a work around.  

Message 14 of 25
JDMather

I just did an experiment and Export a sketch from AutoCAD as IGES that I was then able to open in Inventor.

(not sure if this would get around your dwg problem)

EESignature

Message 15 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed

@Anonymous wrote:

I just did an experiment and Export a sketch from AutoCAD as IGES that I was then able to open in Inventor.

(not sure if this would get around your dwg problem)

Thank you for the suggestion.  

I attempted this and found I cannot export to that file type.  Admittedly, I am unfamiliar with this file type, but after some research I understand its purpose.  Why wouldn't it be available as a file type for export in AutoCAD Mechanical?  It simply isn't in the list of file types in export.  I also tried the manual command IGESEXPORT, which isn't recognized.  

Once again, I might be missing something.  

EDIT:  Addtional research indicates it might be an additional "translator" plug-in I am missing.  Well, either way, this might not be a feasible work around for me.  Any other formats which might translate to something Inventor could open?  

Thanks again.

Message 16 of 25
JDMather

My experiment was from vanilla AutoCAD Export command not, AutoCAD Mechanical.

You can run AutoCAD Mechanical as vanilla (Start>Programs>Autodesk>AutoCAD Mechanical>Run as AutoCAD

or

try the IGESOUT command in Mechanical.

BTW - is this the first time you mentioned running Mechanical rather than vanilla?

I wonder if all problems relate to that fact?

Edit: I see you did mention running Mechanical in the initial post - I completely missed that fact.

EESignature

Message 17 of 25
mrattray

Just to confirm, you're missing this option?

Capture2.JPG

Found here:

Capture.JPG

Note that I'm in 2014 Mechanical, I have the export to SAT option, and I have copy/pasted geometry to Inventor many times.

If you can't export to SAT, then I would be surprised if it weren't for the same reason you can't copy/paste.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 18 of 25
JDMather

@mrattray wrote:

Just to confirm, you're missing this option?

Note that I'm in 2014 Mechanical, I have the export to SAT option, ....

Where did ACIS (*.sat) come into this discussion?
Does ACIS save 2D "sketches" in AutoCAD?

I suggested IGES (*.igs) because I verified that I could take 2D from AutoCAD into Inventor.

Initial Graphics Exchange Specification - a neutral format.

EESignature

Message 19 of 25
mrattray

Oops! For some reason I read your IGES suggestion and my brain interpretted it to SAT. Good catch.

Well, if we pretend everywhere that I mentioned SAT says IGES instead, I think my statements still stand.

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 20 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed

@mrattray wrote:

Oops! For some reason I read your IGES suggestion and my brain interpretted it to SAT. Good catch.

Well, if we pretend everywhere that I mentioned SAT says IGES instead, I think my statements still stand.

That's correct, I do not have that option.  I have within the Export Data screen the following types available:  .DWF, .DWFX, .FBX, .WMF, .SAT, .STL, .EPS, .DXX, .BMP, .DWG, and .DGN  (See screenshot)

I notice, Mike, that you're using Windows 7 with an older XP look, or XP itself as an OS.  Could that be the difference?

IGESOUT I also attempted with similar results as IGESEXPORT - unrecognized command.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report