Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best method the create adaptive assemblies?

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Josy05
799 Views, 0 Replies

Best method the create adaptive assemblies?

Hello to all,

I'm investigating and try to understand which intellignet feature is the best for our company's need. Looking into multi-value parameters to drive parts,  creating iParts/iAssembly or adding iLogic rules. I did many basic tutorials to get a feel on things but all of them are far from the curtainwall industry parameters we need to obtain. As a beginner I need in context examples meaning architectural rather than mecanical tutorial.

We use Inventor as a manufacturing tool for all our components, most of them driven by a squeleton. Can intelligent features be integrated into those or only parts done as stand alone components? The best example that comes to mind is the use of insulated backpans that require many sub-part in a single assembly which needs to be adaptive in some way to fit all opening sizes. Each different component and all its occurances need to have a specific part number in order to create a material cutlist.

For now I tried adding multi-value parameters but I see that assemblies show the active nominal value of the part which is not good. iParts/iAssembly seem to work fine but the person that did them used formulas to drive instead of rules. I feel this is not a best practice since it calls for every user to understand the formulas. My next goal is to try it with iLogic but this will ask more study since i'm not familiar with those.

Idealy what I need to accomplish with the insulated backpans is to be able to click on a macro who would ask to give dimensions and magically the code behind would select the appropriate sub-parts, even more greater would be that it creates the parts if the required length is non existant and give it a unique name. But maybe I'm aiming to high and something exist in between, anything is better than nothing.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks.

Josee Laplante
BIM Drafting Technician

AutoCAD 2016
Inventor Professional 2016
Vault Professional 2016
Revit 2014
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report