Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated assembly based on work geometry?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
336 Views, 3 Replies

Automated assembly based on work geometry?

I'm trying to setup an assembly based on a complex 3D sketch.  In simplest terms, if I have a sketch for the perimeter of a house, I'd like to add instances of a 2x4.ipt at specified locations automatically.  That's not necessarily every 16", but rather wherever I put a specific geometry.  I'm imagining two work axis or sketch lines, one along the perimeter to determine the location of the 2x4 and one perpendicular to determine the direction the 2x4 points.  In actuality my sketch won't be a rectangle, but rather a complex 3D spline, that's why I'm hoping to get some sort of automated process.  And the current design involves somewhere on the order of 1500-1800 2x4s.  Making the sketches and geometry will be nightmarish enough, I'd prefer to be able to breeze through the assembly portion.

If that's unclear let me know and I'll try to sketch up what I'm talking about in more detail.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you familiar with skeletal modeling and the Frame Generator?

Curve driven patterns?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I'm fairly used to skeletal modeling, but not Frame Generator or Curve Driven Patterns. I'll take a look around and start some learning! Thanks!
Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

For frame generator you will need to create you own custom 2x lumber profiles.

Use your skeleton file in the Frame Generator.

For curve driven patterns see this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

going beyond that - you might look for information on iLogic and iAssemblies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report