Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding weld or rivet tabs to a sheet metal part ...

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Perfectg_uk
2320 Views, 17 Replies

Adding weld or rivet tabs to a sheet metal part ...

Hello, again. I'm sorry to be a burden to the community but I have yet another problem.

When making things out of sheet metal I want to add a series of tabs to the outer edges so that they can be assembled and riveted  together and I can bottom how to do it without a lot of work.

So basically if I have a square.PNGsquare like this I can extrude it or thicken it in the normal way but what I really want is this

sqaurewithtabs.PNG this only shows three tabs on one side but I want tabs on all sides so that It can be extruded to form the flat part.  

It seemed simple to me that I would change the outline of the part to construction lines then draw one complete tab (ie the sticking out bit and the lead to the next tab)  then use the pattern tool to copy the tabs along the edge and do the same for the other edges. Problem is when I do that It doesn't see it as a closed loop and using sketch doctor it comes up with a whole host of errors. I then have to go around the sketch and click on near every line of every tab to get it to close and thus be extrudable.   I've tried doing them as a separate sketch and then trying to merge solids but that doesn't work either.  So my question is, is there a built in function in inventor that allows you to put tabs on parts automatically If not how should I do it ? I don't mind having to set it up for each edge but having to manually click all those lines to close the loop it almost works out the same as drawing each tab individually. It doesn't help that I can't think of another name for the weld / rivet tabs, if I type in tabs in google I get loads about the menu tabs but nothing about weld tabs... As per normal thanks to anyone that can steer me in the right direction. This little project of mine has certainly got me learning a lot of new tricks.... Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JavaLodge
in reply to: Perfectg_uk

If I understand what you need to do, then this might be simpler than what you're trying.  It's a 2014 file by the way.

I think your main problem is that your sketch is too complicated.  In case you can't open the file, what I've done is instead of doing a pattern in the sketch, just make one tab and pattern that feature.  It's a seemingly small distinction but it makes your work a lot easier.  I pattern the tab feature along one side, and then did a circular pattern to get the tabs along each side.  Good luck, I hope this helps.

You need to put your first square centered to the orgins not the bottom left hand corner.

Then on your second sketch notch out 1 of the notches.

Rectangle array up one of the edges so you have notches how you want on one side.

Then circular array 4 times around the orgin to get notches on all 4 sides.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 4 of 18
Perfectg_uk
in reply to: JavaLodge

Thanks for the example, unfortunately I'm still with 2013 and mine can't open your file.
I'll have ago with your suggestion though and see what I manage..thanks
Message 5 of 18
Perfectg_uk
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Ok I think I see what what you mean to make my original part bigger so that I cut out the bits to make the tabs rather than add them on as I was trying to do.. I'll give this bash as well... thanks...
Message 6 of 18
Doug_DuPont

Here is one in Ver 2013

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 7 of 18
JavaLodge

I wish I could backsave my file to 2013, but it seems my hands are tied in that respect. It looks like Doug has done it for you, though. Good luck!
in reply to: JavaLodge

Do you have "constraint interference" and "constraint persistance" turned on?

When in a sketch expand the flyout in the "constrain" section and see if those 2 are turned on..

Also when sketching look in the bottom corner of Inventor.. DON'T finish a sketch till it says "Fully Constrained"..

Sounds like you really need some proper training.. You seem to not know the very basics.. Like how to draw anything but a simple rectangle.. 

And when in sheet metal environment you typically dont "extrude".. You specify a sheet metal style (which includes material thickness) and use the "face" command to give your sketch "thickness"

I'd highly suggest getting proper training.. Even 1 day with a professional trainer could save you THOUSANDS of dollars in wasted time,etc... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 18
JDMather

Once you get a part finished (using whatever technique you can) - attach the *.ipt file here and someone will show you the best way to model the part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 18
Perfectg_uk
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yep I have those switched on getting it fully constrained was another way of identifying my problem I couldn't seem to get it to be fully constrained unless I constrained each tabs..which would take ages if I have loads of them. I could really do with some proper lessons and I keep my eye out for when a local collage or something runs a course . There doesn't seem to be an abundance of trainers near me. I've managed to get most thing done that I want to do and find it an exceptional tools. I normally mange to find out how to do stuff by reading and you tubing but these last few problems had me stumped. thanks for your input...
Message 11 of 18
Perfectg_uk
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Thanks that's perfect.
Message 12 of 18
Perfectg_uk

I've dissected the IPT and I think I understand the process in deed it appears to work on one face. When I do circular pattern how do I tell it to follow the lines rather than actually trying to do a circle ... I've attached my IPT....

Thanks...

Message 13 of 18
Perfectg_uk
in reply to: JDMather

Hopefully there's one attached to my post. thanks...
Message 14 of 18
Perfectg_uk

Ah another learning point I forgot the 4 ul bit and left it as a single number in the circular pattern tool. I 'm not sure what it means (ill go do some reading) but using the UL rather than just a number  did the trick. Thanks fellas it looks like my little problem is solved...

Message 15 of 18
Perfectg_uk

Here's my final effort... It looks good to me 🙂

Is this all one solid now ? As I'll want to convert it to a dwg for sending off to a laser cutter at some point. Well not this actual demo part but the thing I'm building... 

Message 16 of 18
JDMather

Work Axis 2 is a duplication of the Z axis.

Work Point 2 is not needed.

Given the difficulty of creating this part (you have a bunch of extra dimensions too) I recommend you attach your finished design here (when you get it finished).

The ul means Unitless.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 17 of 18
Perfectg_uk
in reply to: JDMather

I can see the work point 2 and work axis 2 thing not being needed , thanks.

However I'm not sure about the unnecessary dimensions ?
I drew a square and dimensioned it 100 by 100 I then moved it so the origin was right in the centre of the square.

Then on sketch two (which is now called sketch 5) I only dimensioned one tab and used the pattern thing to copy it around the remaining edges..

I've re done the part removing the work point and 2nd work axis...

Message 18 of 18
Perfectg_uk

Well it did look good until I tried to add tabs to my sheet metal part. I'm guessing I'm doing it in the wrong order or something. 

I want a truncated cone made in sheet with tabs. So I drew either end of the cone then swept from one to the other. I then thicken put a rip in and made the flat pattern and this seemed to go ok and it fits in nicely with my IAM. Now I come to add tabs I run in to problems. 

I make a sketch and draw in the tab but what now? I can finish the sketch and extrude the tabs but I know form a post earlier on this thread I shouldn't mix sheet and extrudes. If I extrude I can then do a rectangle pattern along the one edge but have difficulties doing a circular pattern to fill the other edges. If  I try and thicken the tab then I can't actually find the commands to thicken it ?

Thanks...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report