Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive assembly

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
465 Views, 7 Replies

Adaptive assembly

Hi.

I'm working on some kind of closet with a few drawers on sliders. The sliders are simplified to consist of one bar sliding in and out on the other. I've created an assembly of the two, but have not constrained the movement in the length-direction, as I want this to be controlled from the top-assembly. I successfully managed to do this the first time I built up the top-assembly, but as my work was nearly finished, the customer requested some changes. I found it easier to rebuild the entire top-assembly than to keep on working on the old one. Only trouble is... now that I've rebuilt the top-assembly, I cannot seem to make the sliders adaptive, even though I've deleted the old top-assembly and idw. What am I doing wrong? I know that you cannot have the same part/assembly to be adaptive in multiple assemblies, but.. this top-assembly is now the only one still existing. Is there some way to "unlock" or force the slider-assy to become adaptive in my new top-assembly? Thanks a lot for all help.

Stig M.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Stig, I am doing same type of work and trying to use Inventor to speed up modeling, create BOMs, cut lists but it's been a pain. It might be my inexperience but IV has weird way of doing things, especially with constrains. Anyway, I did same mistake on a raised panel door I designed and I had to redo it. You should not delete assembly file where part/subassembly is placed since now you will not be able to get it loose or better say unlock it. What it works for me is that I open assembly where my part/subassembly is placed and just delete it from the assembly. Save assembly without this parts and now you should be able to make them adaptive again. Design Assistant is good in copying parts to different places without braking links and ending up in situation like you are now. I hope this helped. Slobodan "SemiCatS" wrote in message news:30045405.1108201174407.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi. > > I'm working on some kind of closet with a few drawers on sliders. The > sliders are simplified to consist of one bar sliding in and out on the > other. I've created an assembly of the two, but have not constrained the > movement in the length-direction, as I want this to be controlled from the > top-assembly. I successfully managed to do this the first time I built up > the top-assembly, but as my work was nearly finished, the customer > requested some changes. I found it easier to rebuild the entire > top-assembly than to keep on working on the old one. Only trouble is... > now that I've rebuilt the top-assembly, I cannot seem to make the sliders > adaptive, even though I've deleted the old top-assembly and idw. What am I > doing wrong? I know that you cannot have the same part/assembly to be > adaptive in multiple assemblies, but.. this top-assembly is now the only > one still existing. Is there some way to "unlock" or force the slider-assy > to become adaptive in my new top-assembly? Thanks a lot for all help. > > Stig M.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Hi.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind, but as I was fooling around a bit with my assemblies, I found the "flexible" option as I RMB'ed the assembly which I wanted to make adaptive. What happened, was that I now can drive the sub-assy anyway I like, by applying a flush/mate-constraint between the moving part and the "body".

Stig M.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

You need to open the slider assy when in the menu
Tools/ Document Settings/Go to the modeling tab and unclick Adaptively used in Assembly.
Message 5 of 8
Mark_Wigan

ddpont i have to say that you are a legend. i have not seen that setting before, or seen anyone else refer to it until now.

in my case, i had made a few copies of one large frame weldment, that resided within other general assembly files. the first weldment was adaptive & dozens of constraints were depending on this adaptivity, so all copies i made were by default tagged as adaptive within the document settings as you say.

i was able to untag all frame assemblies as "Adaptively Used in Assembly". then go to each of their new (parent) general assembly files and make them adaptive within each appropriate parent.

i think you may have saved me about a days or reconstraining!

thanks again, & keep up the good work.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 6 of 8
IgorMir
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Hi Mark,
Below is a reply from Quinn Zander, who used to be frequent on this forum...

*Quinn Zander
Re: Can't make assembly adaptive
Open the Assembly. Tools->Document Settings->Modelling Tab.... uncheck "adaptively used in assembly".

As you can see - the question you have asked is not unique. And it had been answered long time ago! LOL!
Best Regards,
Igor.

@Mark_Wigan wrote:

ddpont i have to say that you are a legend. i have not seen that setting before, or seen anyone else refer to it until now.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 7 of 8
Mark_Wigan

thanks Igor,

i did see that it was answered and that it was a long time ago.

i still wanted to say thanks to dd... if he is still around 😉

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 8 of 8
IgorMir
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Alas, a lot of good people left Autodesk Inventor discussion group and have now moved to Mcad forum run by Sean Dotson...

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report