Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

27-30" monitor & 23" (utility/spreadsheet etc) too much for graphics card?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jyager
580 Views, 7 Replies

27-30" monitor & 23" (utility/spreadsheet etc) too much for graphics card?

Currently our dept has been running on the same dual 23" monitor setup for about ten years. We're in the process of trying to upgrade things (recently making the move to solid modeling from 2D CAD and 3D 3rd party software) but management is getting a lot of excuses from IT about how our graphics cards can't handle 2 different sized monitors.

Quadro 4000 cards on i7-3770k CPU, 3.50 GHz, 16g RAM 64 bit

We're looking to keep one of the "smaller" monitors for outlook, excel etc, but upgrade the main monitor to 27-30", everytime it's brought up management is told that two different sized monitors wont work on our system saying it's either one big monitor or our two small ones, sounds like an excuse, but it's out of my realm.

Any input? Thanks!

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SeanFarr
in reply to: jyager

This is from the nvidia website: says those cards can handle 2 monitors up to a max res. of 2560x1600.

I have never heard of videos cards only supporting one size of monitors in a dual setup.(just from perosnal and work experience, I am not IT though)

I am running a similar set-up (22" main screen and a 18" secondary) on a GTX 670 which is a lower end gaming card compared to a high end Quadro 4000 card, I doubt you will have any issues with dual monitor set-up. There are probably some users on this forum with a Quadro 4000 and have dual monitors that can confirm though.

quadro 4000.PNG

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 3 of 8
QuasiMojo
in reply to: SeanFarr

Two monitors with different resolution has always been fine; however, it can be annoying if they're way off.  Windows will magnify/reduce as you move between them. Also, Inventor doesn't play well with dual monitors.  Desktops are probably okay, but less so with laptops. 

I have to make sure my tool option windows are always on my laptop monitor (smaller than my external monitor where I like the CAD window).  If I undock, Inventor will always remember where the tool was last, which can be way off screen and it's irritating to get it back; this is further compounded with the Extrude tool mini-toolbar that steals focus. With that one, you cannot use the (Alt+Space, M) command to move it back on screen.

Message 4 of 8
jyager
in reply to: QuasiMojo

I had similar issues with the menus using remote desktop this weekend.

The two monitor setup was great for autocad, but it doesn't work very well for Inventor...not that I home the view very much, but having to deal with things sucking into the gap between screens is kind of a pain. So, I've been using just the one screen with the other being relegated to eemail and 2D cad reference drawings.

I'd love to have a 27-30" for Inventor and keep one of the 23's for other uses but progress is slow moving.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: QuasiMojo

@Anonymous_Bandersnatch wrote:

Also, Inventor doesn't play well with dual monitors. 

I've ben using Inventor with 2 monitors for 7 years without a hickup, what behavior have you seen that makes you say that?

Message 6 of 8
bob_holland

jyager et al,

One of the things that I have found while choosing a secondary monitor for a laptop is to choose a monitor with similar aspect ratio.  It is not mandatory, but it does seem to help.

As for the Inventor support, Inventor talks to .NET and .NET talks to the video driver.

The video driver deals with the individual monitors at the resolution specified in the driver for that monitor.

I hope that this helps.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 7 of 8
LT.Rusty
in reply to: cbenner

I think he's saying that the problems lie more with a non-permanently-installed second monitor than just with multiple monitors in general.

If you use Inventor on a laptop, sometimes with a second monitor and sometimes not, then you may have an issue with your menus popping up on the second monitor ... even when it's not attached.  I had this happen a few years back, it was annoying as anything. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
jyager

I have that happen all the time using remote desktop at home. I have a lot of the menus off to the side screen so they're not taking up space on the primary monitor @ work...but then I have to alt+space move them into position at home.

If I had everything on one larger monitor I could avoid this. I tried stretching Inventor between two screens again yesterday...it's great for .idw but really sucks for models since I keep moving things away from the split in screens (the center of the workspace) it also borks the axis of my orbit too on the 3D mouse making it swing all over sincwe the object is not centered in the workspace.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report