Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

terminal services, video card on server and performance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gia
Observer
5566 Views, 4 Replies

terminal services, video card on server and performance

hi

[ DELL PowerEdge T420 with windows server 2008 R2  and G200eR Video Controller]
[ 1 client with nvidia quadro 2000 and 3 clients with nvidia quadro 600 ]
[ autocad 2013 standalone license ]

I want to buy a network license ( Single License Server Model )
to use with windows server terminal services ( remoteApp ).

For this purpose :
Shall i to subsitute the server video card with another better ?

Does Autocad 2013 uses remoteFx and OpenGL ?

In remote app connection the performance depends by
the server : disk storage, CPU, memory,
network,
video card : of the server or of the client ? ,
client : CPU and memory ?
Depends by the server or the client ?

I have googled and i have tried :
“Terminal Server client sessions are configured to load separate drivers for the display, keyboard, and mouse. The display driver is the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) display device driver (rdpdd.dll), ”
--------
“The main hardware factors that have to be considered are CPU, memory, disk storage, and network”
---------
http://www.mombu.com/microsoft/windows-terminal-services/t-does-the-video-card-play-any-role-in-rdpc...
“Terminal Services both on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP include a  driver that acts as the video driver within the TS user sessions. This means  that the local video hardware on the server is not used. All graphical  output created inside the TS user sessions is directed through the RDP video  driver, which converts the GDI calls into an RDP video stream being  forwarded to the network driver. As a result the quality of video hardware  on the Win2003-based or XP-based Terminal Server does not directly affect
graphics performance of TS user sessions. This is why the video driver of  Virtual Server that is being used by Windows XP as a guest system will not  directly affect graphics performance of the remote connections via RDP.  
--------------
BUT there is a big problem regarding AutoCAD. I think AutoCAD uses OpenGL or  some other 3D graphics standard, which is accelerated by good local graphics  hardware. This hardware acceleration will not work using RDP. If you run  AutoCAD in a TS environment, the OpenGL graphics will be converted into  pixels on the server side only using the capabilities of the RDP driver.  Those pixels will be transmitted to the client within the RDP data stream  and displayed on the client side. As you can imagine, this is not the most  effective way.

-------------------------

thanks in advance.
Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DarrenP
in reply to: gia

i suggest you read this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Autodesk-EULA-and-non-Citrix-Virtualization/td-...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
gia
Observer
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks.

But i don't find Autocad 2013 full eula

I have found autocad 2009 eula 

http://south-apac.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=1157326&id=9915117

Message 4 of 5
pendean

Installation Forum may be the Alternate place to post your question:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24
Message 5 of 5
TravisNave

You cannot run AutoCAD on Terminal Services.  It violates the license agreement.  Unless your company likes being audited, which Autodesk actually does, I recommend that you look for an alternative solution.  You can run network licenses of AutoCAD in a supported Citrix environment if you prefer.  See Darren's post above.  It is very clear.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report