Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't find file error message

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
AJAMP
1073 Views, 6 Replies

can't find file error message

After initial boot up of my Windows XP system, if I try to open an AutoCAD LT 2013 file by double clicking directly on the file name I will get AutoCAD 2013 to go through its initial startup routine and get the following error message telling me the file can't be found and to double check the spelling etc.  I can then re-click on the file name and it opens right up.  If I close the AutoCAD 2013 application and go through the same routine it opens properly.  This is probably a Windows issue but I'm not sure it's not an autoCAD startup issue either.  Any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks,

Mark

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: AJAMP

Probably a latency issue with loading a drawing over the network.  You can either work on the drawing locally from your C:\ drive or open your Autodesk program first and File > Open the .dwg.  Working over a mapped network drive is usually not the most efficient method.  It's one of the reasons for Vault.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
AJAMP
in reply to: TravisNave

Just for my clarification... The latency is in that the open command is trying to access the file from the network drive on initial startup before the application is actually ready to load it?  Since I don't experience this 'error' once I've had AutoCAD open I'm assuming that there are some system commands that are going on during initial startup that are more involved than they were with AutoCAD 2012 and earlier versions.  Is that correct? and the answer is if everyone upgrades to 2013 we'll just have to deal with the error message unless we also invest in Vault?

Mark

Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

Check the properties of your launch icon and see if it is set to launch some particular dwg.  Seems rather odd to me.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
AJAMP

Still have the error message, and no one from Autodesk is responding?  It only happens during "First run initializing".  It would seem to be a bug.  And it's definitely bugging me.  I find it hard to believe that no one else experiences this.  

Message 6 of 7
TravisNave

If it were widespread, I think there'd be an epidemic on the boards.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 7
AJAMP

Still not resolved.  Does anyone know what is happening during the "First run initializing..." phase of the program startup versus "initializing..." program startup that happens during subsequent application starts.

Whatever is happening during the "First run initializing..." phase seems to be where the problem lies.  People have suggested a latency problem due to accessing a networked/mapped drive. But as I've stated, the same thing happens if I  attempt to open the application by double clicking a file from my desktop or C:// drive or the network drive if it is the 1st time I've tried opening AutoCAD since booting my system up.  If I open the application first and then once it's open, open the same file - no problem.  Also, if I've closed AutoCAD and later go back and double click to open a file from anywhere there is no error message (note AutoCAD does not say "First run initializing..." during the startup now).  Also, this problem did not exist on the same machine until I upgraded to AutoCAD LT 2013 from AutoCAD LT 2012.  That's why I believe it to be a bug in the startup process in the new version of AutoCAD LT 2013.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report