Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a student license to make a free game

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Veprovina
2600 Views, 6 Replies

Using a student license to make a free game

Hello!

I wanted to learn 3d modeling for some time now, so recently i registered for a student license.

My main interest is making models and animation for games.

Now, i understand that i can't use the student license to make money of any kind, not by donations or kickstarter, advertisements or anything, and that's ok. What i'm wondering is if i can make the models in 3ds max or maya and use them to make a completely free game for download (in any engine, i know specific engine licensing isn't your concern).

Next, can i use that game and those models as showcase for my work to someone, and host it on a website (mine or someone elses)?

And one more question, a bit more obscure, but i couldn't find any info on that so i'm asking here.

Can use the student license to make models for presenting an idea, like a game concept to a company or an indie developer team? As in, I make a little playable bit in an engine with 3ds models and/or an animation to use as a presentation to a company/developers that may be interested in making that game?

What happens if someone decides to make the game, but doesn't use any of my models? Am i free to present an idea using a student license?

I would be very grateful if you could answer my questions!

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
joane.bonghanoy
in reply to: Veprovina

Hi Veprovina, 

Yes, you are correct when you mentioned that Student License cannot be used for any monetary activities (e.g. Donation, selling etc.)

However, with regard to the specific scenarios you mentioned on this thread, I will need to check further on it and will get back to you once I have the complete answers. 

Joane Bonghanoy
Message 3 of 7
Veprovina
in reply to: joane.bonghanoy

Thank you for your time! I eagerly await your reply!

Message 4 of 7
joane.bonghanoy

Hi Veprovina,

With regard to your question, Student Licenses cannot be used on such purposes. Educational Purposes, as defined in the License Service Agreement, limit use of Educational and Student license types to purposes “directly related to” the instructional functions of a qualified educational institution. Objective for making the software free is to help students learn the software or the tool.  

In your case, subsequent distribution, publication, etc., whether free or commercial, of the work has nothing to do with learning to use the software, and therefore constitutes or falls under “other purpose” in the definition. 

Hope this clarifies things.

Joane Bonghanoy
Message 5 of 7
Veprovina
in reply to: joane.bonghanoy

Yes, that clarifies things a lot!

Thank you for explaining it, and thank you for your time! 🙂

Message 6 of 7
wilhelmflehmann

Got 1 question, what if I start a club at a community college for game development. may I use the education version of Maya in the progression of making a game in an engine, and later posting it online for the game download for free on the club website? Credit the club members and programs used.

- will be demo games to put on portfolios 

Message 7 of 7

@wilhelmflehmann

Welcome  to the community..

No this is not allowed at all..  Student versions are only to be used for learning and training..  Not to provide games for your club or for other people.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report