Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 2003 Server

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
msvehlik
649 Views, 11 Replies

Upgrade to 2003 Server

About 6 months ago we upgraded our hardware from an old Compaq W2k server to a brand new Compaq server with Windows 2003 using a 39 user network license version for Autocad Archictectural Desktop 3.3 sp2. We moved all the end user licenses by a registry entry that pointed to the new license server. Since the upgrade we have had nothing but read only issues.

The error reads...
Unable to save to drawing *.dwg as it is being accessed by another session. Drawing saved to *.ac$

Most of the time all a user will have to do is a save as to fix this problem. I've looked on the server and sometimes someone else has accessed the file while someone was in it and created a read only for the person who originally was working on the drawing.

I have been on talking to Microsoft for a few months now and they have done everything they know about read onlys. They pointed me to Autodesk for some answers. Has anyone else had this problem. I've read messages about read only's but they were posted a while back.

We have upgraded to LMTools 9.22 and this didn't seem to fix the problem.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
patrick_aps
in reply to: msvehlik

Sonds to me not a licensing problem but a file-access-rights problem

Are you sure that your AutoCAD (or ADT) installations have Xrefs "enabeld with copy" in their options, open and save -tab ?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?
We have the same thing since we upgrade from an old Compaq NT 4.0 server to a Dell Windows 2003 server.

Betsey
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Was there a solution to this problem?
Message 5 of 12
ddarling

We are have the same read only problem with a new Dell server running Server 2003 in one of our offices. All users are affected and all run ADT 2005. This was not a problem before the server change.

Does anyone know what is causing the problem?
Is it Autocad or Server 2003?
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

We are using a Dell server with Win2003 and no problems at all with LDT2005.
Even the flexlm works fine.

John

wrote in message news:4836428@discussion.autodesk.com...
We are have the same read only problem with a new Dell server running Server
2003 in one of our offices. All users are affected and all run ADT 2005.
This was not a problem before the server change.

Does anyone know what is causing the problem?
Is it Autocad or Server 2003?
Message 7 of 12
justindoyle

I'm having this on a new Dell 1800 server with Windows 2003 Server.

Anyone found a work-around yet?

--Justin
Message 8 of 12
ddarling

We have not fully solved the problem but have mitigated the problem. We have found that if the user closes autocad, selecting to Save with the exit that the file will save correctly.

We also found that there may be a problem at the server level when running a backup/replication process that copies data to a remote server. We turned this off for a day on one of the affected servers and the incidence of the error went to nearly zero. Our infrastructure people then tweeked some of the settings for the replication and turned the service back on. The incidence of the error remained low but the problem has never gone away.

Dan Darling
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

msvehlik wrote:
> The error reads...
> Unable to save to drawing *.dwg as it is being accessed by another session. Drawing saved to *.ac$

Does the server have Indexing Service running on it? If so, have you
tried turning it off?

Jason
Message 10 of 12
ddarling

I just spoke with our infrastructure group and this has not been tried. They will consider trying this.

Have you actually tried this?
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

ddarling wrote:
> I just spoke with our infrastructure group and this has not been tried. They will consider trying this.
> Have you actually tried this?

Not with Autodesk, but I have seen some other file locking problems with
indexing service, mostly related to older word processing documents.

Jason
Message 12 of 12
adamdunn

I am having this problem as well. We just recently upgraded our servers to Windows Server 2003 R2, and ever since we randomly get files that turn read-only while a user is working in the file. We are using AutoCAD 2002 on Windows XP and Windows 2000 computers. This problem never happened while using Windows Server 2000. I have not been able to determine a common item on the computers that it happens to. We did have DFS running, but I have turned that off.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue yet?

The other issue that we have noticed is that files will also randomly disappear, and sometimes after a user has saved a file, closes AutoCAD and then reopens the file that the changes were not saved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report