Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring student trial to new OS and/or PC.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Akinetic_Artisan
1440 Views, 2 Replies

Transferring student trial to new OS and/or PC.

I have yet to install byte one of any software, as I am trying to see what is my best move here. I am in the infancy of my mechanical engineering major, and I am about to change OS's in a week, and, within a few months after that, change computers (with Microsoft's less than desirable policies regarding OEM and system builder versions of Windows, this tacitly become 2 problems). I am curious about the ability to move software from one OS to another OS, on the same PC, and from one PC to another PC. At no time would the software be installed on more than one device, nor used by more than one person. Is it possible to install the software on one OS, uninstall, wipe the drive, install the old OS I am forced to go back to (for financial reasons)? However, much more importantly (as i can just wait the week and put it on the other OS I will be using, if need be), may I use it my current computer and then, when I finish building my new computer, uninstall it from the current one and install it to the new device. (I am unsure of what criteria must be met for the software to activate. I'm not sure if it's tied to the OS, or if it's looking for a MAC adress, or what indentity parameters are in place) I'd rather find out here  than the hard way. Thanks.  

"Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hello Akinetic_Artisan,

Welcome to our forums.

The activation is tied to the machine, rather than to the operating system. Normally, the Student version should be installed only on 1 machine at a time. If you need to move the software to another computer for technical reasons (OS compatibility, etc.), you can use the License Transfer Utility (LTU) to transfer the license from one computer to another to avoid requesting a new activation code. For instructions, please refer to the below online solution:

How to Transfer Stand-Alone Licenses Online

If, for some reason, the transfer doesn't work, you can contact our Registration & Activation department for help activating the software on the new computer.

Best regards,

Simona Golisciano
Message 3 of 3

Fantastic. Thank you. So, there is in fact a contingency for migrating from OS to OS or from device to device. Great to hear. I am not in a position to utilize any software for an assignment at this exact moment, but would very much like to have a good grasp on how to use it when I am aksed to (and, as a mechanical engineering major, I'm certain it is inevitable that I will be), so that I may divert my energy to creativity and producing a quality assignment, rather than struggling with learning curves and first-time exposure. Thanks again, for the information and expiditious response. 

"Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report