Installation & Licensing

Reply
*Schmidt, John
Message 1 of 8 (135 Views)

Save problem with Novell 5

135 Views, 7 Replies
10-08-1999 09:38 AM
One of our customers is running approx 12 stand-alone versions of
AutoCAD, both R14 and R2000. They typically store their drawings on a
Novell file server. When they were on Novell 4, there were no problems,
but since moving to Novell 5, the first time they try to save, it says
the drawing is open, and saves under an .ac$ filename, but then if they
try it a second time, it will usually save normally. This usually
happens whether they do the save-save immediately or wait 10 minutes in
between; it seems that every other save is saying the drawing is still
open.

Has anyone else seen this with Novell 5? They claim to have absolutely
the latest of everything from Novell installed.

Thanks for any info,

John
*Flores, James K
Message 2 of 8 (135 Views)

Re: Save problem with Novell 5

12-09-1999 12:21 PM in reply to: *Schmidt, John
We also are having problems w/ Novell 5 and Autocad. Before our upgrade to
Novell 5, Autocad worked fine, now, we need to "recover" most drawing we
want to work on. If we are lucky, they recover fine, if not, we have to
retrieve them from our tape backup. One of our latest and greatest errors
was received just today from one of our release 13 seats "Internal Error:
!dbvtx.cc@ 296:ePermanentlyErased" . Now whats that all about? Let me know
if you get anything.

John Schmidt wrote in message
news:37FE1E0B.A9180451@aectech.com...
> One of our customers is running approx 12 stand-alone versions of
> AutoCAD, both R14 and R2000. They typically store their drawings on a
> Novell file server. When they were on Novell 4, there were no problems,
> but since moving to Novell 5, the first time they try to save, it says
> the drawing is open, and saves under an .ac$ filename, but then if they
> try it a second time, it will usually save normally. This usually
> happens whether they do the save-save immediately or wait 10 minutes in
> between; it seems that every other save is saying the drawing is still
> open.
>
> Has anyone else seen this with Novell 5? They claim to have absolutely
> the latest of everything from Novell installed.
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> John
>
*Read, Barry
Message 3 of 8 (135 Views)

Re:

12-14-1999 07:03 AM in reply to: *Schmidt, John
James:

We have been having the same problem since switching to Novell 5 from Novell
4.1. We are having a lot of problems with files being corrupted and having to
recover them. Some times we are unable to recover the file and have to go to a
previous backup....obviously we lose any changes that were made recently. We
are running Windows NT 4.0 on the desktop. Does anyone have any ideas? This is
really getting frustrating.

Barry

James K Flores wrote:

> We also are having problems w/ Novell 5 and Autocad. Before our upgrade to
> Novell 5, Autocad worked fine, now, we need to "recover" most drawing we
> want to work on. If we are lucky, they recover fine, if not, we have to
> retrieve them from our tape backup. One of our latest and greatest errors
> was received just today from one of our release 13 seats "Internal Error:
> !dbvtx.cc@ 296:ePermanentlyErased" . Now whats that all about? Let me know
> if you get anything.
>
> John Schmidt wrote in message
> news:37FE1E0B.A9180451@aectech.com...
> > One of our customers is running approx 12 stand-alone versions of
> > AutoCAD, both R14 and R2000. They typically store their drawings on a
> > Novell file server. When they were on Novell 4, there were no problems,
> > but since moving to Novell 5, the first time they try to save, it says
> > the drawing is open, and saves under an .ac$ filename, but then if they
> > try it a second time, it will usually save normally. This usually
> > happens whether they do the save-save immediately or wait 10 minutes in
> > between; it seems that every other save is saying the drawing is still
> > open.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this with Novell 5? They claim to have absolutely
> > the latest of everything from Novell installed.
> >
> > Thanks for any info,
> >
> > John
> >
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 4 of 8 (135 Views)

Re:

12-14-1999 07:49 AM in reply to: *Schmidt, John
Hi,
I switched our office from NetWare 4.10 to NW 5 on June 1, 1999 and have not
had any problems. My suggestion is to make sure all NT Workstations are
running NetWare Client for NT Version 4.60.SP2.

You can get the latest clients from
http://support.novell.com/misc/patlst.htm

Hope this helps
- Tom

Barry Read wrote in message <38565C5A.F47E7352@komatsu-inc.com>...
>James:
>
>We have been having the same problem since switching to Novell 5 from
Novell
>4.1. We are having a lot of problems with files being corrupted and having
to
>recover them. Some times we are unable to recover the file and have to go
to a
>previous backup....obviously we lose any changes that were made recently.
We
>are running Windows NT 4.0 on the desktop. Does anyone have any ideas?
This is
>really getting frustrating.
*Read, Barry
Message 5 of 8 (135 Views)

Re:

12-14-1999 09:13 AM in reply to: *Schmidt, John
Tom:

Thanks for your response. Yes we are running NT Client 4.60 Service Pack 2.

Barry

"Tom Gilmer" wrote:

> Hi,
> I switched our office from NetWare 4.10 to NW 5 on June 1, 1999 and have not
> had any problems. My suggestion is to make sure all NT Workstations are
> running NetWare Client for NT Version 4.60.SP2.
>
> You can get the latest clients from
> http://support.novell.com/misc/patlst.htm
>
> Hope this helps
> - Tom
>
> Barry Read wrote in message <38565C5A.F47E7352@komatsu-inc.com>...
> >James:
> >
> >We have been having the same problem since switching to Novell 5 from
> Novell
> >4.1. We are having a lot of problems with files being corrupted and having
> to
> >recover them. Some times we are unable to recover the file and have to go
> to a
> >previous backup....obviously we lose any changes that were made recently.
> We
> >are running Windows NT 4.0 on the desktop. Does anyone have any ideas?
> This is
> >really getting frustrating.
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 6 of 8 (135 Views)

Re:

12-14-1999 09:59 AM in reply to: *Schmidt, John
Barry,
There are network issues relative to AutoCad's partial save mechanism. I
believe that file corruption can occur when partial saves are executed over
a network. I have set ISAVEPERCENT system variable to 0 (zero) on all my
machines. This forces each save to be a full save. We have no corruption
problems during the 6 months on NW 5. It might be worth a try.

- Tom

Barry Read wrote in message <38567AA9.4A2BA628@komatsu-inc.com>...
>Tom:
>
>Thanks for your response. Yes we are running NT Client 4.60 Service Pack
2.
>
>Barry
*Flores, James K
Message 7 of 8 (135 Views)

Re:

12-15-1999 06:11 AM in reply to: *Schmidt, John
When you talk about the ISAVEPERCENT variable, do you mean you added that
option under the control panal\system properties\environment area?

wrote in message news:8360ji$e9c22@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> Barry,
> There are network issues relative to AutoCad's partial save mechanism. I
> believe that file corruption can occur when partial saves are executed
over
> a network. I have set ISAVEPERCENT system variable to 0 (zero) on all my
> machines. This forces each save to be a full save. We have no corruption
> problems during the 6 months on NW 5. It might be worth a try.
>
> - Tom
>
> Barry Read wrote in message <38567AA9.4A2BA628@komatsu-inc.com>...
> >Tom:
> >
> >Thanks for your response. Yes we are running NT Client 4.60 Service Pack
> 2.
> >
> >Barry
>
>
>
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 8 of 8 (135 Views)

Re:

12-15-1999 07:20 AM in reply to: *Schmidt, John
No! At the Acad command line type ISAVEPERCENT. It's probably set to 50. Set
it to 0 (zero) to force every save to be a full save.

Alternately, you can type preferences at the command line to bring up the
Preferences/Options dialog box. In R14, select the Performance tab. For
R2000, it's called Open and Save. The incremental save percentage shows the
current setting. Click on Help to get an explanation.

Good Luck,
- Tom

James K Flores wrote in message <8387n1$igt19@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>When you talk about the ISAVEPERCENT variable, do you mean you added that
>option under the control panal\system properties\environment area?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community




Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube