If anyone is still having this problem, I now know that it has to be dealt with very systematically because - maybe I'm slow, but my steps outlined below worked for me - Eureka! -
Tony, prior to receiving your last posting these were the steps I took.
read nearly everyone elses post and went to posted links associated with this error
deleted every single .tmp file, one was locked - I don't know why because I am the administrator, it was w/ Bit Defender so I think it is okay
I went to every nook and cranny that Autodesk downloads its files. I had a trial version of ACAD 2012 (prior to this multi attempt download of Revit) - so I got rid of everything - I'm sure the majority on this site understands, that just uninstalling the program via the control panel doesn't mean all its tentacles are gone!
I took my last error log file and had it opened along side the control panel programs (Install/Uninstall). Everywhere the log had a failure after a Microsoft Visual C ++ file, I deleted that specific file.
Shut down. Re-booted. Turned off all Anti-virus applications
So in the end even the even the Autodesk Design portion did instal!
It is simply unfortunate over the course of the past two days, I spent nearly 14 hours trying to resolve the issues. I hope the steps above help others too.
Thank you for your patience - I'm out of your hair!