Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 Failed - Installation aborted, Result=1603

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
pauldavidjohnson
1946 Views, 33 Replies

Revit 2013 Failed - Installation aborted, Result=1603

Dear All,

I am desperate.

I have been trawling the internet trying to resolve the installation issues, but to no avail.

Have spent many days & countless hours and still unable to install Revit 2013. 

Here is a summary of what I have tried to date & I am also attaching the installation log file.

Thanks.

Paul

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34

Paul,

I also see in you last log file a permissions error trying to register a file "IDbRoot.dll" found at "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Structural\COM\2013\DBAccess".

You might try renaming the IDbRoot.dll file then trying the Revit install again.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 22 of 34

Travis, a couple of questions before I waste another few hours of my life:

1. Why do I need to give Everyone permission to the registry keys? 
    The user and the installer is the same user account (Paul) on my computer (PAUL-PC) and my userid, Paul, is a member of the Administrators group with full access to the registry keys (I checked all the original 1402 errors)

2. Assuming I understand the reason for granting Everyone access:

a. Which registry keys do I give access to? 

b. How do you give access to a root key which does not exist (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32)?

c. The two remaining 1402 errors were for keys (folders) that did not exist HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts

Thanks, Paul

Message 23 of 34

Thanks for picking that up Danny.

Before I do that & reinstall, can you please have a look at my questions to Travis?

I would like to address all potential sources of error before trying again.

Cheers, Paul

Message 24 of 34

Paul,

You shouldn't have to modify the permission of the registry keys, but with things like Windows UAC and other antivirus/security software trying to protect you from yourself, Travis's suggestion of giving the Everyone users group full permission is the easiest way to guarantee you have full access to the registry.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 25 of 34

1.  As stated, this ensures that there are no accounts, (yours, System, TrustedInstaller, etc.) that doesn't have access.  Trust me, as an IT Expert, I fix 1402 errors daily.   

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16508079&linkID=9240617

2.  You give access to the top most level of the key that has the problem.  Having full access for everyone will give the installer rights to create the missing keys.  You do not have to create them. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 26 of 34
davidrmartin90
in reply to: TravisNave

So I am not a computer genius by any means but after reading throught all of the above problems.  I also tried all of the given suggestions and failed to download the program.  After hours of messing with it I realized that only through one medium of downloading was I able to insert a product key, given from the website, to initialize the install.  That was through web browsing download.  I know it is the longest but it was the only one that worked.  After pushing the install button I also ran into the never ending wait of the preparing revit message.  I left it running for 6 hours and if finally pushed through.  So my guess is that it just took a really long time.  I dont know if that will help but it fixed the problem for me. And cleared the 1603 error I was receiving.

Message 27 of 34
TravisNave
in reply to: davidrmartin90

6 hours is quick compared to what others have gone thru!  Ha!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 28 of 34

Travis,

Since you are an IT expert I shall remain hopeful that you can solve my inability to install Revit 2013!

Latest attempt summary:

*  Went through process as outlined in original post dated 25 May 
*  Decided to also uninstall all the Microsoft Visual C++ installations in preparation for next install attempt.
    Had to use Microsoft Fixit to properly uninstall some of them

*  Added Everyone user group to each of the Windows registry folders: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,
   HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG

*  Gave Everyone user group full control to folder & subkeys
*  Note that root folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32 does not exist, so unable to set permission for Everyone user group
*  Used Browser Download as David Martin suggested to install from a freshly downloaded set of files

FAILED AGAIN with 1722 in dialog box - error 1603 in install log & several 1402 error messages in the install log file (attached)..

Cheers, Paul

Message 29 of 34

Thanks for the suggestion David.

I tried downloading via Browser Download - but unfortunately this did not work for me.

Message 30 of 34

Yuck. Go to my MSI Cleanup link then scroll down to the 1402 reference.
It's defeatable with some work. Lemme know.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 31 of 34

Thanks Danny

Additional information on my ?? attempt (lost count!) to Install Revit 2013:

*  I selected to download only Architecture

*  I deselected the Service Pack download

*  I deselected the option of installing Revit Material Library.

Was trying to install the minimum to have a better chance of a successful install, but still no luck ...

Message 32 of 34

Travis, I now unfortunately have a much bigger problem. Word & Excel are no longer working. When I try & open Word or Excel, it launches an installation popup & tries to install Microsoft Office 2010 & gets a Fatal Error.

What a nightmare, Paul

Message 33 of 34
Aus01
in reply to: pauldavidjohnson

I am not an "Expert", my suggestion is to install All your programs on a new copy of Windows OS. 

Message 34 of 34
TravisNave
in reply to: Aus01

@Aus01 wrote:

I am not an "Expert", my suggestion is to install All your programs on a new copy of Windows OS. 

At this point I would agree.  If your other products are also failing, it goes beyond the scope of the Autodesk program.  It may be time to throw in the towel and refresh your system.  You'll be better off in the long run anyway. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report