Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redundant model, 2 subnets, 2 domains.... has anybody did that...???

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
k.katsaras
449 Views, 3 Replies

Redundant model, 2 subnets, 2 domains.... has anybody did that...???

Hi all,

I know that the autodesk installation documentation clearly states that the redundant server model only works with servers that are under the same subnet but I have to ask if someone has done anything different.

Here is our situation:

I have to create a redundant server model where 1 server is in first subnet under a domain name and the two other servers are under a different subnet and domain name. When I'm creating the deployment and choose the redundant servers I put the name of the servers there SERVER1, SERVER2 and SERVER3.DOMAIN.AA. The message that I get of course is that the third server can not be found on the network. If anyone has achieved to make this work please post a way...

Cheers,

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: k.katsaras

So long as you can make some sort of VPN connection, this could work.  Although, the concept of the redundant model is flawed.  Why on earth would you want to choose such a ridiculous setup? 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
k.katsaras

Well, It's not my descision... 🙂 The customer has a main office and satelite offices. They are in a process of centraly manage their IT infrastracture so they have decided that they will gather all licenses and maintain them from one location. The problem arises from the fact that all the offices have their own domain and subnet. I'm not a networks expert but from what I understand they need to establish a trusted relationship between the domains for this to actualy work in some way...

So from my point of view I assume that we either try to make the above setup work (by establishing a trusted relationship between the domains maybe? ) or move to a new senario that says that all redundant servers reside in the same subnet and the users of the other subnets reach to those three servers for licenses (by setting the ACADSERVER variable maybe or the hosts file in each workstation?). Why the redundant server model? Well the customer wants to have 0 downtime for all licenses and felt that this was the easier to maintain...

So my question realy is wether anyone has already done something like this and has any technical suggestion to share.

Message 4 of 4
TravisNave

Well, you'd have to modify the network structure to be a true WAN utilizing an MPLS system or even a VPN.  So long as the other subnets can ping the servers in the other subnets, the system will work.  However, the redundant server system does not provide 0 downtime.  In fact, when the system fails it takes infinitely longer to restore.  They might want to consider a distributed system or a single server system that all the offices can access easily. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report