Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster Design 2011 - Eroor 1606 on install

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jdwill
2147 Views, 4 Replies

Raster Design 2011 - Eroor 1606 on install

To all:

Need a solution to the message

"Error 1606. Could not access network location Autodesk\ARD2011\R18.1\enu\"

when installing the newly released RD2011 download.

Working on a stand-alone Win7-64bit machine, with Civil 3D 2011 installed & activated.

Not sure why RD is attempting to reach across my network in the first place.  But it is right, that destination does not exist as far as I can tell..

Hope someone can help.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: jdwill

It's more likely due to a profile issue.  The easiest thing to do is just check your registry locations against this Microsoft KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
brpo
in reply to: jdwill

Previous message did not appear so i post it again...

Note that this error is due to a bug in the MSI package.

If you install as Admin, it will work, but some registry settings will be written to the file system instead of the registry.

If you install with a tool as system account, the paths do not exist (and SHOULD NOT exist !), so you get those errors.

the easiest way to bypass the  errors is to edit the msi file with the mst and remove the folders in files and folders that point to the registry path.

It seems that this mistake has been done for years now by the packaging team at Autodesk, and nobody seems to care.

(the only answer i got is that it is not supported to be deployed via SCCM ! - what about doing a clean Msi to start with ?)

I removed the folders and it works fine. Since those folders were supposed to be in the registry, they will never be found by any version of the program anyway... so you don't loose any functionality when compared to a manual install

Message 4 of 5
niveknonrev
in reply to: brpo

Can you elaborate on which pieces can be removed safely?

Which settings get written to the file system etc?

Message 5 of 5
Jeimas
in reply to: niveknonrev

You could always try the following (snippet from install vb script):

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

sPath = Left(WScript.ScriptFullName, LEN(WScript.ScriptFullName) - LEN(WScript.ScriptName))

sArgument=" /Q /W /I " & "RasterDesign2011x64.ini"

oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData", oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%APPDATA%"), "REG_SZ"
oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Local AppData", oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%LOCALAPPDATA%"), "REG_SZ"

oShell.Run "cmd /c mklink /D C:\0001 " & qq(sPath), , True
iReturncode = oShell.Run ("C:\0001\Setup.exe" & sArgument, 0, True)

oShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData"
oShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Local AppData"

Not sure if you have to make the symbolic link (cmd /c mklink....) but someone suggested it as a part of making it work. But the registry key was what made it finally install using the System account with Configuration Manager 2007. Now if the MSI installation just read the system variables instead of reading from registry, this problem wouldn't occur in the first place...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report