Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network License Activation is blank

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
1773 Views, 18 Replies

Network License Activation is blank

I'm trying to register (for the first time) my copy of AutoCAD 2009, and I'm 28 days into the "trial" period before it expires and locks me out. Naturally I clicked on "Activate this Product" when prompted to, and the next screen is blank. So I tried to register online and I get all the way to the part where I need an activation code, but I can't obtain one because the activation screen within my autocad is still black. When I go into the C drive and force open "Network License Activation" it too is blank, and never opens.

I've triple checked the serial number is correct. I have also uninstalled 2009 and reinstalled it, hoping it would restart my 30 day pre-registration period..no such luck. All the activation windows are still blank..

I'm using Windows 7 on a brand new laptop.. is that the problem?

Please somebody help!! I'm running out of time and don't want to be locked out of AutoCAD!!
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

That is exactly the problem. Autodesk 2009 products are not supported on Windows 7. Only 2010 and later. Sorry!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

well that might be the case, but why have I been able to use it for the last 28 days? seriously, I need help. Should I call autodesk tomorrow?
Message 4 of 19
TravisNave

Autodesk's position will be that you have installed your product on an unsupported operating system. I am sorry for your inconvenience.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

How do you know this? I've read about patches that you can download... I've also heard that because it is a 64 bit program it can run on Windows 7, 64 bit.. Just curious why you are so firm that it will never work as registered?
Message 6 of 19
TravisNave

I did not say that it does not work, I said it is not supported. I know this because it is my job to know this. Installation and licensing support is my specialty. Autodesk will not provide you a patch for your application because it is not supported on Windows 7 64-bit. Trust me, I feel your pain. I deal with similar situations multiple times a day. My recommendation to you would be to either install your software on a supported operating system such as Windows XP or Vista, or install a the free Microsoft Virtual Machine portion of Windows 7 that allows for a licensed copy of Windows XP to run inside of Windows 7.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

ok, well I'm still not sure that is the problem. I'm not doubting your experience, but several weeks ago when I first started using 2009 on my new laptop, I went to the "register today" window and it worked, opened online etc, it wasn't a dead blank link. I closed out and decided I was too busy to get into creating a username/ password then. So it did prompt then but now it doesn't.. that is what I don't understand. And I'm still inside the 30days. I think there is just something wrong with the link... have you talked to others who have the "white screen"? at register today?
Message 8 of 19
TravisNave

I am not trying to be difficult, I am just letting you know that you are unlikely to get the support you expect because of the nature of your situation. Is it possible that it will work and you can activate? Of course. However, the position is that that product is not supported on Windows 7. I wish it was. But you have to realize, it's no different than if you asked Autodesk why you cannot seem to get AutoCAD 2009 working on your Commodore 64.
Any solution offered would be a best guess solution. For example, perhaps you should install to a Windows XP machine and activate the product and see of you can use the Portable License Utility to move the activated license to your Windows 7. Will that work? Maybe? Is it supported? No. The fact of the matter is that there is not a supported answer for your situation.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

ok, I understand what you are saying.. is the port license utility thing difficult? Am I going to be using the same authorization # on the new computer?

there are two worst case scenarios for me if that doesn't work. 1. I download XP onto my new laptop, or 2. I buy 2010 Autocad...which by the way I just looked at it on Amazon's site and it states that its only compatible with XP/Vista..

http://www.amazon.com/Autodesk-057B1-05A001-P101A-AutoCAD-LT-2010/dp/B001UO8M8M
Message 10 of 19
TravisNave

In my opinion, the PLU sucks. Ha! But it might work. As for activating your copy on XP, you'd just install with your serial number and run thru the same Internet activation that doesn't work for you right now on your Windows 7. At that point you should be able to use the PLU to export the license to your Windows 7 computer and use the PLU there to import it. Granted, I do not recommend doing this because if it doesn't work, you can't reimport your license back to the other computer. Fun. Trust me there are at least a million posts in this forum about that issue alone -- along with a million replies by me saying not to use the PLU. You get my drift...
You could reinstall XP onto your laptop. Yes that would suck too.
Your could still download the free virtual machine version of Windows XP from Microsoft. It is available to you as a free license as a Windows 7 user. Microsoft did this to allow you to install programs that are not compatible with Windows 7. Now what programs could possibly not be compatible with Windows 7? Hmm...
As for Amazon, they are wrong. But mostly because Windows 7 came out after AutoCAD 2010. Thus, they have not updated their information based on the press release from Autodesk listing the 2010 products that are supported. AutoCAD 2010 is on that list and is fully supported on Windows 7 as both a 32-bit and 64-bit installation.
Alternately, AutoCAD 2011 is being released this week.
On a side note, is Internet Explorer your default web browser or are you using something else?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

OK on all fronts, thank you. I'm going to try and avoid the license transfer, your warnings are enough and this is a big enough nuisance, I'd rather not make it larger. Doesn't the virtual Machine thing suck up all your hard-drive space? I read something somewhere that IE needs to be your default browser, which it wasn't so I took care of that. It hasn't helped the registration set-up issue.

Do you think I'll have the same issues if I buy the 2010 version I sent you? I'm leaning toward that, because I dont want to dumb down my new machine...or jam it up with two operating systems.

Oh, do you know if I download the autocad I have to another XP computer and activate it, will that void the activation ability on my new computer? (hope that makes sense, I'm brain dead)...
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

also, am I going to be locked out of my autocad 2009 in 2 days since I can't register?
Message 13 of 19
TravisNave

I don't blame you there. As for the VM, it does take up considerable hard drive space, but it also takes up considerable resources because you are essentially sharing your memory and processing power with a second operating system.
I don't think you will have the same issues if you purchase 2010. If you do, at least you will have every right to complain, Haha!
As for your activation question, if you purchase a AutoCAD 2010 and it is purchased as a brand-new seat and not an upgrade of your 2009, I don't see why you couldn't activate both. There is nothing wrong with that, when it comes to licensing. The licensing gets complicated if you upgrade your current seat to an AutoCAD 2010 license. Essentially, you void your 2009 license -- that is unless you purchase Subscription, which will allow your AutoCAD 2010 license to run up to three versions back. You would also be auto-fulfilled the following year on the new AutoCAD product. Essentially, if you buy AutoCAD 2010 and Subscription, you will get AutoCAD 2011... and you can run any of your three versions legally. Has your brain exploded yet?
As for your current issue, what you might try doing is create an additional user account. Give the account local administrator rights and then login as that user. Launch AutoCAD 2009 and see if your activation works. Just another thing to try... if it doesn't work you can always delete the account.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 14 of 19
TravisNave

On that machine. Yes.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

thanks so much for your help. I'm going to make one last effort and call autodesk tomorrow.. we'll see. If its a dead end, I'll be buying Autocad 2010 for the laptop...^*&#$$*&

Again, thank you!! I'll check back in and let you know.
Message 16 of 19
TravisNave

Definitely let me know, especially if the information can help somebody else that stumbles into this problem.
Another idea I thought of was to right-click your AutoCAD 2009 and Run as Administrator. See if that makes a difference.
Good luck on your efforts!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

Help!!!

Ok so I'm having this same issue, except I'm running Windows XP, so it should work right? What else could be causing this?
Message 18 of 19
TravisNave

Are you sure you are not running behind some sort of proxy or firewall that is blocking this? Is your registration screen totally blank or can you at least see your request codes?
Worst case, try here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13682581

Autodesk Forums:
Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

i'm using windows XP, and i'm having the same problem. but this time, i'm dealing with 3ds Max 2010 and Mudbox 2011. i can't seem to actovate my product because the network license activation window is BLANK! what should i do???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report