Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2014 Ubuntu: license problem in GUI mode launch dialog message

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Arskane
3258 Views, 7 Replies

Maya 2014 Ubuntu: license problem in GUI mode launch dialog message

Hello Community,

I have a students license for Maya 2014 which was installed on windows 7 and worked perfectly. I then exported the license with the Autodesk tool and wanted to install in on my Ubuntu system as the windows was causing a lot of troubles (not related to Maya). Installation worked perfectly (version with SP4) according to the steps indicated here: https://gist.github.com/heiths/3250500 (basically converting the rpms to deb files). No errors occurred during installation and everything seems fine.

Importing the license using the linux version of the Autodesk tool works perfectly as well. The license is recognized and imported without errors, however, when I try to run maya, I get the following error:

license problem in GUI mode launch dialog message
maya: License was not obtained

License method:
can't determine license method

Product choice:
can't determine product choice

License file override:
environment variable MAYA_ALT_EN is not set

which occurs with sudo and without. Trying the solutions found on the internet (this one sums it up nicely: http://3dgumshoe.com/maya-license-was-not-obtained/) does not yield any betterment.

I would be very grateful for any advice you might have concerning this problem as I've spent the better part of 2 days on it now and am very frustrated.
Thanks!
Daniel

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: Arskane

From what I remember, Linux and student licenses are not supported together. Have a search in this board for confirmation.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 8
thebarx

Yes you can use them, I use ubuntu 14.04, but you have to use the most recent Autodesk Software, to do this with Student Licences.

give permisions to the setup file

chmod +x ./setup

then

sudo ./setup

write down the serial number and and product number, Accept, Next, close

Run your Application the first time as superuser, and then you're done

sudo maya

finally I recomend you to add a launcher with

maya -style gtk

Any Issue send me Personal Message, cheers :B

screenshot1.png

ATI Radeon HD 4290 - Propietary Drivers
Catalyst 12.6 Xorg Xserver 1.11.3
Autodesk Maya 2014 Student Version- Linux
Autodesk Mudbox 2015 Student Version- Linux
Message 4 of 8
Arskane
in reply to: thebarx

Thank you! Now the installation worked and I activated my license succesfully - also using Ubuntu 14.04 like you and following your installation description.

But it won't start. When typing maya in the terminal, I get the following error (this also happens with sudo maya):

QWidget::setWindowModified: The window title does not contain a '[*]' placeholder

Here's the full log:

Initialized VP2.0 renderer {
  Version : 5.3.1.0. Feature Level 3,1.
  Adapter : AMD Radeon HD 5450  
  Vendor ID: 4098. Device ID : 
  Driver : 4.4.12874 Compatibility Profile Context 14.10.1006.1001.
  API : OpenGL V.2.
  Max texture size : 16384 * 16384.
  Max tex coords : 16
  Shader versions supported (Vertex: 4, Geometry: 4, Pixel 4).
  Shader compiler profile : (Best card profile)
  Active stereo support available : 0
  GPU Memory Limit : 1024 MB.
  CPU Memory Limit: 9462,28 MB.
}
mental ray for Maya 2015 
mental ray: version 3.12.1.12, Jan 31 2014, revision 213714
QWidget::setWindowModified: The window title does not contain a '[*]' placeholder
Stack trace:
  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x10340) [0x7fbb49404340]
  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x1410a6) [0x7fbb4916f0a6]
  lh_insert
  OBJ_NAME_add
  SSL_library_init
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4(+0x4e103) [0x7fbb37bcd103]
  curl_global_init
  /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/plug-ins/bifrost/plug-ins/../lib/libdna4.so(+0x9ed91b) [0x7fbabdbb591b]
  /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/plug-ins/bifrost/plug-ins/../lib/libdna4.so(+0x9edb5d) [0x7fbabdbb5b5d]
  dna4::CXMLService::Initialize(dna4::DNAPtr<dna4::IDNAInstance> const&)
  dna4::CDNAManager::RegisterService(AmwUID const&)
  dna4::CDNAManager::BeginInitialization(std::string const&, bool, dna4::Vector<dna4::AppVar> const&, bool const&)
  dna4::BeginCreateDNAInstance(std::string const&, bool, dna4::Vector<dna4::AppVar> const&, bool const&)
  /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/plug-ins/bifrost/plug-ins/../lib/libmwdbproxy.so(+0xf7ad) [0x7fbabc66a7ad]
  initializeBifrostPlugin(MObject)
  initializePlugin(MObject)
  Tplugin::primaryLoad(Tstring const&, Tstring*)
  Tplugin::load(Tstring const&, Tstring*)
  TloadPluginAction::loadPlugin(TfilePath const&, Tstring const&, bool, Tstring&)
  TloadPluginAction::execute(TargList&)
  TloadPluginAction::doCommand(TargList&)
  Mel_Command_Dispatch(SphNode*)
  node_exec
  f_catch
  f_not
  fc_if
  node_exec
  fc_ifelse
  node_exec
  f_function_entry_node
  node_exec
  sophia_call_executable
  SophiaExecutable::evaluate(void*)
  TcommandEngine::executeCommand(Tstring const&, bool, bool, TmelCmdResult*, unsigned int)
  TidleScriptAction::doIdleAction(Tevent const&)
  TidleAction::preDoIdleAction(Tevent const&)
  TcallBackTidleAction::doIt(Tevent const&)
  TeventHandler::doIdles()
  QObject::event(QEvent*)
  QidleTimer::event(QEvent*)

Fatal Error. Attempting to save in /usr/tmp/root.20140523.2310.ma
Writing crash report in /usr/tmp/root.20140523.2310.crash

Googling didn't lead me to a working solution, maybe you (or someone else?) could help me out?

Thanks so much.

Daniel

Message 5 of 8
thebarx

well now you see that is not impossible, hahaha.

Lets see, Do you have the propietary drivers for your AMD video card or open drivers?
Also, you have to know that there are two kind of drivers on Linux. The one that are made from the video card's company, and the ones the linux comunity wrtie.

For example, the current kernel has no support anymore for my videocard, so I have to use the open one, I think is Gallium, but it works smothly.

Normally, the video card need to have the propietary driver to work better. In Ubuntu is a place called, extra drivers in System Settings, this may give you an option to install open or closed drivers. Check that first.

And errase Maya folder from home, it will generate it again once open, so don't worry, go and delete that folder meanwhile Maya is not running (obviously), let me google your log, but I am almost sure is beacause the lack of propietary drivers.

Also check that in your language Settings is similar or related to define decimals with periods, not commas. This is an strange conflict, but since Autodesk is a company from United States, you'll have to change language settings in order to do all the operations correct in Maya, cuase it's written in English, and stuff

Message 6 of 8
Arskane

I was actually using the open driver before and got a different error (initializing of vp2 did not work) and after switching to the proprietary one (Catalyst) that part seems to work now.

Here's some output I used to verify I'm using the correct driver:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series] [1002:68f9] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device [174b:e164]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 44
        Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 2: Memory at fbee0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Region 4: I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
        Expansion ROM at fbec0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci

Note the last line (Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci), so that seems to work. I also installed some hardware acceleration stuff (xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo) as per this description, which seems to work (output of vainfo):

vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD

Here's the output of fglrxinfo:

display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 5450
OpenGL version string: 4.3.12798 Compatibility Profile Context 14.10.1006.1001

which also seems fine.

I also tried removing the maya folder like you suggested but no betterment.

Following your locale suggestion, I tried starting it with this command:

env LC_NUMERIC=en_US.utf8 maya

which helped with my spotify installation but didn't work here. The QT error I mentioned earlier seems to be just a warning, you're probably right that it's a graphics driver issue. I will try to reinstall the driver - maybe that helps.

But you say your version is working with the open driver? Did you change anything else to make it run?

Message 7 of 8
thebarx

It should work with propietary drivers, and your Videocard is thousand times better than mine.

it is 'setenv LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8' not just env

because you are setting an unusual enviroment

I guess if you type interminal

glxgears

glxgears --info

it would appear gears in openGL.

I have a doubt, Do you know what Architecture your Notebook or Desktop is?

Because you can install a 32bit system on a 64 bit processor, and Maya only run on 64 Bit systems.

You have to know that your Procesor is from 4-cores or more (intel i5, intel i7, AMD procesors, etc).

Then you have to install a GNU/Linux 64bit OS, in this case Ubuntu 14.04.

Also, you have to know if the Propietary Display driver of your video card is supported by the Xserver of the current Kernel that Trusty have.

It is pretty better that you have an Ubuntu version that fits with the Xserver that AMD is supporting already (I hate that but, are politics of that company).

In my case, I can't go back to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, where my videocard is supported, because the Kernel 3.12 supports my Intuos Pro Tablet, in other words I can't work without that kernel, and I have to use Open drivers in this Ubuntu version, because of that. But open drivers of this Notebooks work fine (for me) so I have not to care too much, and I don't know how to compile newer kernels hahaha, My Video card is a Radeon HD 4290.

In your Case, the AMD Radeon HD 5450 the Catalyst version you need is the ATI Catalystit 14.4, that The Xorg Xserver you need is the 1.12 or 1.13, that belongs to the Linux Kernel 3.4, so the best version you need to install is the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, that ends in 2017, I recomend you to return to that version, if you're going to use Maya and those 3D applications. Autodesk is supporing to Fedora 14, that it is the same as Ubuntu 10.10 Lucyd Linx that is the kernel 2.6.35, so, don't worry Ubuntu 12.04 is enough for your video card.

I surfed the web about your issue, and seems like you were compiling Maya with Pyqt from source, ant there are google grups about it.
Your same error I have seen on windows users and are becuase of those stupid and hateable virus that corrupt some files, and that people must resolve their problem with a third party software, and that old junk that makes me irritate, generating stupid bugs to people to make them buy anything just anoy users Smiley Mad

To avoid errors, I recomend to install Maya 2014 on Ubuntu. 

if you want the latest I recomend something a bit different.  The best for you is to install Fedora 20 as a Linux Newbie, here is a Guide for your Driver, to install the driver version with this Version that is the most recent Fedora Distribution. The advange with Fedora is that it is an RPM based Distro, so you only have to double click to the packages of Maya, not to convert them into .deb, for a Debian Distribution. Fedora is a good distribution too, I like it. Fedora guys have more tricks than Ubuntu Guys, but you know there is more software for ubuntu, that is why I like it haha, it is your choice.

Cheers 

Message 8 of 8
Arskane

Hey,

thank you so much for your help. I tried your suggestions but it's still not working. So far, I've been using Maya on Windows which I've set-up for just this purpose but it is super-annoying to have to reboot to use Maya and then I can't do other stuff while it renders because all my stuff is in Linux and I actually don't like working in Windows.

I also don't really wanna go back to an old Ubuntu version, nor change to Fedora because I've really come to like Ubuntu.

Anyways, it seems I'll have to finish my current project in Windows and I've just downloaded Blender which will probably take a while to get used to (being used to Maya) but it saves me the annoying Windows part.

Thanks again so much for your help!!

Daniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report