Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2
ryarmak
472 Views, 1 Reply

License Question

I have been working on an addon for AutoCAD.  Originally it was for my personal use, but I have found that there might be people in my area interested in buying a copy of the addon once I complete it (well, some are asking for it before).  As I do not personally own a copy of AutoCAD, but use my actual job's copy after hours, finding out a part of the license that was added recently from a blog was very disturbing to me.

"You may Access the application programming interfaces that may be included with or in the Software or otherwise available from Autodesk for use with the Software (“API’s”) to develop programs, modules, components or functionality that (i) are compatible with and are used and/or interfaced with the Software and (ii) contribute significant value-added functionality or enhancements to the Software (“API Modules”) provided You may Install and Access such API Modules solely on Computers where a licensed copy of the Software is also installed and further provided such Installation and Access is solely in connection with Your Installation and Access of the Software and solely for Your internal business needs. You may not redistribute all or any portion of an API Module."

This basically seems to state that no matter what other people are willing to buy, I am not allowed to sell.  I have used many other addons *not* made by Autodesk for AutoCAD, and they seem to be doing just fine.  Are they breaking the license also now?  Or is my interpretation off?  

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
TravisNave
in reply to: ryarmak

Your interpretation is wrong.  Essentially Autodesk is referring to *their* API in this case.  Basically, you can program additional tools for Autodesk products, but you cannot provide any of the Autodesk API to someone who does not have a licensed copy of the software.  Autodesk does not want you to give their product away, nor do they want you to provide a portion of their product as a means to circumvent their product license.  If your product would not work without their product, then you cannot provide the portions of their product to make your product work.  Does that make more sense? 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report