Installation & Licensing

Distinguished Contributor
Message 1 of 3 (88 Views)

License Manager Operation Question #2

88 Views, 2 Replies
11-06-2000 11:08 AM
Hello:

I am assuming that the server code is generated from the name of the machine that the license manager is installed on. We have built a new server and have named it the same as the current one (to be replaced). However, it is generating a different server code than the original server (with the same name). Is this correct? Also I am getting different server codes from the same (new) machine when connected and not connected to the network. Any help on understanding how all this works would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
Nick Seman
*Nehls, Kevin
Message 2 of 3 (88 Views)

Re: License Manager Operation Question #2

11-06-2000 12:09 PM in reply to: nickseman
The server code is generated from many different items in the server.

1) The IP address

2) The MAC address on the NIC card

3) Possibly other hardware on the computer

4) Possibly the NETBIOS name of the computer

5) Possibly service packs for the OS

There may be others and the some of the items in the above list may not be
correct.

Here are a few items that your AdLM server *must* meet.

1) Static IP address (no DHCP for the AdLM server)

2) 1 NIC (no multi-homed stations for AdLM)

3) All AutoCAD clients *must* be in the same subnet as the AdLM server

4) The AdLM server will not work across domains.

Boot-up the machine, assign it a static IP address (make sure that this IP
address is excluded from the IP address pool on the DHCP server). Make sure
that there is only 1 NIC in the machine. Now write down the server code and
re-authorize your licenses.

HTH
--
Kevin Nehls
remove -ns- for direct reply
Distinguished Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (88 Views)

Re:

11-06-2000 12:42 PM in reply to: nickseman
Kevin:
Thanks for the reply. I recently installed 10 license servers in our regional offices and was able to generate the correct server code for each from my laptop when connected to the network. However, when not connected to the network it generated different server codes. My laptop is obviously a totally different machine than the servers which are running the ADLM - but it is still generating the correct codes. That is why I can not understand why I am now having the problem that I am.

When we swapped the server out we did assign it the same IP address as the original server. Also we are able to get licenses across domains. The server is on one domain and the majority of the clients within another - and this has not caused any problems for us.

Nick

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube