Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor View 2013 File Associations

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
nlbisd
7742 Views, 20 Replies

Inventor View 2013 File Associations

Hello,

I have installed Inventor View 2013 64bit on Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 with and without UAC (results are the same) and noticed that someone did a terrible job of creating the setup (I hope the full version of Inventor 2013 isn't like that).  There are no file associations created for Inventor file types.  I've read other posts of people complaining about the same thing for IV 2012, but I have not tested it on that version.  I've tried the various fixes (dll registrations, etc) for the 2012 version on the 2013 version, but they did nothing that I could tell.  I did notice that the default icon registry key for each file type is sometimes created, but either it's pointing to the wrong place or the dll's are in the wrong place.

For example:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.AssemblyDocument\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Autodesk\\Inventor View 2013\\Bin\\DTRes.dll,5"

There is no DTRes.dll to be found in that path.  But there is one here though:
@="C:\\Program Files\\Autodesk\\Inventor View 2013\\Bin\\en-us\\DTRes.dll,5"

Long story short (and a lot of wasted time later), I've created a registry file that you can import that will create the necessary file associations.  I used an old (installed) version of Inventor View 2011 to get the base keys.  I may not have it all right, but the files that I need (.iam, ipt, and .idw) now open and the icons are correctly associated (as long as you re-apply the HKCU values each time a user logs in, because something runs when Inventor launches that changes registry keys back to non-working).  This registry file will create HKCR and HKCU entries needed to properly open the files.  A logoff or reboot is needed to get the icons right (in my experience).  I take no responsibility for this if it messes up your system (but I'm pretty sure it won't).  Use at your own risk!  You will need to remove the .txt to use the file.

And it goes without saying, this should be fixed!!!  It should have never passed QC in the first place.

Kind Regards,

Brett

20 REPLIES 20
Message 21 of 21
anandax
in reply to: multim

@multim: Thank you! It works with Inventor View 2017 too.

@multim: Danke, funktioniert auch mit der Version 2017!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report