Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
313 Views, 11 Replies

How to bury license?

I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , (LDT2005), I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was working OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. It's been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out at the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been rebooted several times and is even currently turned off. How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option to bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked through the documentation and also online support and can find no info on how to free this license. Thanks for any suggestions - John
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi John, try to reboot your server, it should help, if not you can send me directly your license file, debug log file and if you have an options file and I'll try to help you. Regards, Efim efim.tetelman@autodesk.com "John Schmidt" wrote in message news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , (LDT2005), > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was working > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. It's > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out at > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been rebooted > several times and is even currently turned off. > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option to > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info on > how to free this license. > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > >
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Sheesh - reboot the server? 'Kinda hassle in this case... AFAIK I'm not using an options file - where would I locate the debug log file? I can probably reboot that server late this evening - if that doesn't work, I'll get you the files. John "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in message news:412239e2$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi John, > > try to reboot your server, it should help, if not you can send me directly > your license file, debug log file and if you have an options file and I'll > try to help you. > > Regards, > Efim > > efim.tetelman@autodesk.com > > > > "John Schmidt" wrote in message > news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different > > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , > (LDT2005), > > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was working > > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. It's > > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out at > > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been rebooted > > several times and is even currently turned off. > > > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option to > > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked > > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info on > > how to free this license. > > > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > > > > > >
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

John: How about using the timeout feature in an options file? It's not really a solution to the problem (a problem that I'm seeing often lately), but maybe an acceptable workaround. Setting up an options file: http://tinyurl.com/45x9m Adding timeout feature to options file: http://tinyurl.com/6mtzt Sincerely, Drew Burgasser CAD Masters, Inc. "John Schmidt" wrote in message news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , (LDT2005), > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was working > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. It's > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out at > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been rebooted > several times and is even currently turned off. > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option to > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info on > how to free this license. > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > >
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

I can try this, but I wonder why Autodesk dropped the "bury" function? All this stuff is sure a bunch of hassle just to free up a license... John "Drew Burgasser" wrote in message news:412243b3_3@newsprd01... > John: > > How about using the timeout feature in an options file? It's not really a > solution to the problem (a problem that I'm seeing often lately), but maybe > an acceptable workaround. > > Setting up an options file: > http://tinyurl.com/45x9m > > Adding timeout feature to options file: > http://tinyurl.com/6mtzt > > Sincerely, > Drew Burgasser > CAD Masters, Inc. > > > > "John Schmidt" wrote in message > news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different > > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , > (LDT2005), > > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was working > > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. It's > > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out at > > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been rebooted > > several times and is even currently turned off. > > > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option to > > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked > > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info on > > how to free this license. > > > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > > > > > >
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Autodesk didn't really drop the "bury" function. They dropped their license management vendor and got a new one. The new vendor doesn't have "bury" but does have "lmremove" which may work for you situation...command line only: c:\something\lmutil.exe lmremove -c "c:\something\license\something.lic" 46800ACDLAND_2005_0F jdoe jdoe jdoe This should be a single line. I've had mixed results with this. Sincerely, Drew Burgasser CAD Masters, Inc. "John Schmidt" wrote in message news:41224a9b$1_2@newsprd01... > I can try this, but I wonder why Autodesk dropped the "bury" function? All > this stuff is sure a bunch of hassle just to free up a license... > > John > > "Drew Burgasser" wrote in message > news:412243b3_3@newsprd01... > > John: > > > > How about using the timeout feature in an options file? It's not really a > > solution to the problem (a problem that I'm seeing often lately), but > maybe > > an acceptable workaround. > > > > Setting up an options file: > > http://tinyurl.com/45x9m > > > > Adding timeout feature to options file: > > http://tinyurl.com/6mtzt > > > > Sincerely, > > Drew Burgasser > > CAD Masters, Inc. > > > > > > > > "John Schmidt" wrote in message > > news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different > > > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , > > (LDT2005), > > > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was > working > > > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. > It's > > > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out > at > > > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been > rebooted > > > several times and is even currently turned off. > > > > > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option > to > > > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked > > > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info > on > > > how to free this license. > > > > > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks - I'll try this when I'm back at that office. John "Drew Burgasser" wrote in message news:41225261$1_1@newsprd01... > Autodesk didn't really drop the "bury" function. They dropped their license > management vendor and got a new one. The new vendor doesn't have "bury" but > does have "lmremove" which may work for you situation...command line only: > > c:\something\lmutil.exe lmremove -c "c:\something\license\something.lic" > 46800ACDLAND_2005_0F jdoe jdoe jdoe > > This should be a single line. I've had mixed results with this. > > Sincerely, > Drew Burgasser > CAD Masters, Inc. > > > > "John Schmidt" wrote in message > news:41224a9b$1_2@newsprd01... > > I can try this, but I wonder why Autodesk dropped the "bury" function? All > > this stuff is sure a bunch of hassle just to free up a license... > > > > John > > > > "Drew Burgasser" wrote in message > > news:412243b3_3@newsprd01... > > > John: > > > > > > How about using the timeout feature in an options file? It's not really > a > > > solution to the problem (a problem that I'm seeing often lately), but > > maybe > > > an acceptable workaround. > > > > > > Setting up an options file: > > > http://tinyurl.com/45x9m > > > > > > Adding timeout feature to options file: > > > http://tinyurl.com/6mtzt > > > > > > Sincerely, > > > Drew Burgasser > > > CAD Masters, Inc. > > > > > > > > > > > > "John Schmidt" wrote in message > > > news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple > different > > > > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , > > > (LDT2005), > > > > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was > > working > > > > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. > > It's > > > > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked > out > > at > > > > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been > > rebooted > > > > several times and is even currently turned off. > > > > > > > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option > > to > > > > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've > looked > > > > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info > > on > > > > how to free this license. > > > > > > > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

You should just be able to use the start/stop/reread tab in the license manager to resolve your problem. Its worked for me in the past. Do it from the server that has lmtools installed on it. I've never been able to restart remotely. Pat "John Schmidt" wrote in message news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , (LDT2005), > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was working > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. It's > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out at > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been rebooted > several times and is even currently turned off. > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option to > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info on > how to free this license. > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > >
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

what's up with the tinyurl thing? "Drew Burgasser" |>John: |> |>How about using the timeout feature in an options file? It's not really a |>solution to the problem (a problem that I'm seeing often lately), but maybe |>an acceptable workaround. |> |>Setting up an options file: |>http://tinyurl.com/45x9m |> |>Adding timeout feature to options file: |>http://tinyurl.com/6mtzt |> |>Sincerely, |>Drew Burgasser |>CAD Masters, Inc. |> |> |> |>"John Schmidt" wrote in message |>news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... |>> I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different |>> computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , |>(LDT2005), |>> I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was working |>> OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. It's |>> been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out at |>> the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been rebooted |>> several times and is even currently turned off. |>> |>> How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option to |>> bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked |>> through the documentation and also online support and can find no info on |>> how to free this license. |>> |>> Thanks for any suggestions - John |>> |>> |> David
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Hi John! For the situation you are describing, try LMUTIL LMREMOVE. LMREMOVE is documented in section 7.10 of the FLEXlm document installed with FLEXlm. The syntax is a bit painful and you must use LMSTAT -a to obtain required parameters to use this. LMREMOVE will not work on active sessions, only on strange hung seats. The reason is that sessions 'lmremoved' will simply pull another license immediately, a byproduct of our strong will to live design. Setting TIMEOUT in the options file will help avoid the need to use LMREMOVE to begin with. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "John Schmidt" wrote in message news:41224a9b$1_2@newsprd01... > I can try this, but I wonder why Autodesk dropped the "bury" function? All > this stuff is sure a bunch of hassle just to free up a license... > > John > > "Drew Burgasser" wrote in message > news:412243b3_3@newsprd01... > > John: > > > > How about using the timeout feature in an options file? It's not really a > > solution to the problem (a problem that I'm seeing often lately), but > maybe > > an acceptable workaround. > > > > Setting up an options file: > > http://tinyurl.com/45x9m > > > > Adding timeout feature to options file: > > http://tinyurl.com/6mtzt > > > > Sincerely, > > Drew Burgasser > > CAD Masters, Inc. > > > > > > > > "John Schmidt" wrote in message > > news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different > > > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , > > (LDT2005), > > > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was > working > > > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. > It's > > > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out > at > > > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been > rebooted > > > several times and is even currently turned off. > > > > > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option > to > > > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked > > > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info > on > > > how to free this license. > > > > > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Go to tinyurl.com - it generates a "tiny" url on the fly for urls that are so long that they may get broken by word-wrap. John "David Allen" <*@*.com> wrote in message news:8t67i09vthmhqt79hr1qp2nis8a0s9n5pj@4ax.com... > what's up with the tinyurl thing? > > "Drew Burgasser" > |>John: > |> > |>How about using the timeout feature in an options file? It's not really a > |>solution to the problem (a problem that I'm seeing often lately), but maybe > |>an acceptable workaround. > |> > |>Setting up an options file: > |>http://tinyurl.com/45x9m > |> > |>Adding timeout feature to options file: > |>http://tinyurl.com/6mtzt > |> > |>Sincerely, > |>Drew Burgasser > |>CAD Masters, Inc. > |> > |> > |> > |>"John Schmidt" wrote in message > |>news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > |>> I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple different > |>> computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , > |>(LDT2005), > |>> I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was working > |>> OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. It's > |>> been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked out at > |>> the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been rebooted > |>> several times and is even currently turned off. > |>> > |>> How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option to > |>> bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've looked > |>> through the documentation and also online support and can find no info on > |>> how to free this license. > |>> > |>> Thanks for any suggestions - John > |>> > |>> > |> > > > David
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks Jerry. I'll be back at the satellite office where this is happening in a day or two. If I can't get it resolved with everyone's suggestions, 'guess I'll have to give up my credentials... {;-) John "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message news:4123a9d4$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi John! > > For the situation you are describing, try LMUTIL LMREMOVE. LMREMOVE is > documented in section 7.10 of the FLEXlm document installed with FLEXlm. > The syntax is a bit painful and you must use LMSTAT -a to obtain required > parameters to use this. LMREMOVE will not work on active sessions, only on > strange hung seats. The reason is that sessions 'lmremoved' will simply pull > another license immediately, a byproduct of our strong will to live design. > > Setting TIMEOUT in the options file will help avoid the need to use LMREMOVE > to begin with. > > -- > Jerry Milana, > Autodesk Consulting > > "John Schmidt" wrote in message > news:41224a9b$1_2@newsprd01... > > I can try this, but I wonder why Autodesk dropped the "bury" function? All > > this stuff is sure a bunch of hassle just to free up a license... > > > > John > > > > "Drew Burgasser" wrote in message > > news:412243b3_3@newsprd01... > > > John: > > > > > > How about using the timeout feature in an options file? It's not really > a > > > solution to the problem (a problem that I'm seeing often lately), but > > maybe > > > an acceptable workaround. > > > > > > Setting up an options file: > > > http://tinyurl.com/45x9m > > > > > > Adding timeout feature to options file: > > > http://tinyurl.com/6mtzt > > > > > > Sincerely, > > > Drew Burgasser > > > CAD Masters, Inc. > > > > > > > > > > > > "John Schmidt" wrote in message > > > news:412236b0$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I was at one of our offices setting up a new user on a couple > different > > > > computers. While he was logged into one computer using AutoCAD , > > > (LDT2005), > > > > I also logged him on at another computer to be sure licensing was > > working > > > > OK. This appears to have had the effect of freezing one license out. > > It's > > > > been 8 days and the license manager still shows one license checked > out > > at > > > > the second computer under this user's name, even though it's been > > rebooted > > > > several times and is even currently turned off. > > > > > > > > How do I free this license up? Earlier license managers had the option > > to > > > > bury a license, but this appears not to be the case in 2005. I've > looked > > > > through the documentation and also online support and can find no info > > on > > > > how to free this license. > > > > > > > > Thanks for any suggestions - John > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report