Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal error on AutoCAD Civil 3D launch

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
PaulRowan
911 Views, 3 Replies

Fatal error on AutoCAD Civil 3D launch

Hi,

I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere, but maybe I may not have found the right keywords...

I've installed AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 (only) to a Windows 7 x64 machine, as an administrative user, and launched it successfully using the "AutoCAD 2011" shortcut.

If I then log to windows on as another user and launch the same shortcut, AutoCAD repairs (to configure the user's profile) - towards the end of the repair I get an error: "Fatal Error during installation", with no other detail.

I have repeated this with both the downloaded installer(AutoCAD_Civil3D_2011_English_64bit.exe), and a distribution that I created from it (rebuilding the windows installations between installation tests) - I get the same result.

On analysing Windows installer log, the error appears to be occurring in the cp_initialize custom action, and if I change the custom action in the cached msi file to ignore the custom action's error code, the repair completes and AutoCAD Civil 3D starts and appears to be ok.

I'm wondering if anyone can explain this, or suggest an alternate line of attack.

The MSI log isn't terribly helpful, it just reports error 1603, which is a catch-all code ("A fatal error occurred during installation"). I have attached an extract of it and the only other log file that appears relevant(cp_Install.log).

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
david.lau
in reply to: PaulRowan

For uninstalling the product, check out this solution:

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS16508079

For installing a product, check out this post:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/06/inventor-2012-1402-error-when-creating-a-deployme...

David Lau
Message 3 of 4
alison.gangler
in reply to: PaulRowan

Hi,

If you could also provide the section of the install log prior to the 1603 error, that would be helpful. From the cp_Install.log, it looks like the content pack might have left behind some remnants from a prior install. However, seeing more of the log will be helpful.

Keep in mind that the Content pack install follows the Language Pack Msi install so please send any errors that might be occurring in the LP MSI install.

Thanks,

Alison

Alison Gangler
Install Engineer/PDG-AEC Product Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 4
PaulRowan
in reply to: alison.gangler

Thanks for your reply Alison,

I didn't get to root cause, but I did find a work-arround that I can live with.

The error seems to relate to when the repair occurs. By default the affected shortcut is an advertised shortcut wheras the other shortcuts that launch Civil 3D are non-advertised. The error only occurs on the advertised shortcut, change it to non-advertised and it works fine.

It appears that if windows triggers the package to repair, the repair will fail. On the other hand if Civil3D triggers the repair, it seems to work fine. I can only speculate that Civil 3D does something to the user's profile, relating to a prerequisite for the CP_INITIALIZE custom action, before it triggers a repair, but it could also relate to the repair options/mode.

Paul.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report