Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawings becoming read-only while open

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
adamdunn
489 Views, 3 Replies

Drawings becoming read-only while open

Some of our users are experiencing errors where their drawing files become read-only while they are working in them. They will go to save and get an error saying: Unable to save drawing *.dwg as it is being accessed by another session. Drawing saved to *.ac$. This drawing does not have file attributes of read only, but AutoCAD sees it as read only until the user reboots their computer.

We just recently upgraded our servers to Windows Server 2003 R2, and ever since we randomly get files that turn read-only while a user is working in the file. We are using AutoCAD 2002 on Windows XP and Windows 2000 computers. This problem never happened while using Windows Server 2000. I have not been able to determine a common item on the computers that it happens to. We did have DFS running, but I have turned that off.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue yet?

The other issue that we have noticed is that files will also randomly disappear, and sometimes after a user has saved a file, closes AutoCAD and then reopens the file that the changes were not saved.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
brian.cranston
in reply to: adamdunn

Do the users or groups have modify rights on the share?

-Brian Cranston
Message 3 of 4
brettgatti

I have seen this happen when a users computer temporarily loses connectivity to the network and I have also seen it happen when the storage area (network share) has run out of space.
Message 4 of 4
adamdunn

Yes, the users have modify rights.

This is all new equipment so no one should be losing connectivity, and there is plenty of room on the server. Other people that are hooked up using the same equipment and going through the same hubs are not having the issue.

I have noticed one new thing, this occurrence is most common after the user has plotted a drawing to only one of our printers which is an HP8000n using the HP Universal Printer Driver PCL6. When the user tries to save after printing the file gets marked as read only.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report