Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Activate Inventor 2012

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
iechaurr
4128 Views, 19 Replies

Cannot Activate Inventor 2012

I am a student and I just downloaded Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 and installed it in my macbook using Parallels Desktop 5. The previous versions i had had, worked well in my virtual machine (im using Windows XP) till this one. Once the installation was finished, a window popped up saying the software was successfully installed, with a FINISH button on the bottom right corner. I clicked the finish button and try to run Inventor by clicking the tab on my desktop to open it, and a message came up saying:

"An Autodesk product failed to send the required value for SERIALNUM. The error report sent to Autodesk may be incomplete."

This message keeps popping out each time i try to run the software. I tried the repair install and didn't work. I sent the error report and the answer i got is that i need to activate the software, but in order to do so i need the Product Request Code which I do not have and I cannot start the product to get it because it has not been activated.  So I am at a loss.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you very much!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
hashim.mundol
in reply to: iechaurr

Please try a clean install and run in diagnostics mode to isolate any 3rd party security issues.

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS75218

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 20
iechaurr
in reply to: hashim.mundol

Thank you for your help! I did what you said but it didn't work. Though Inventor Fusion, that comes with Inventor Professional as an optional  software was successfully installed, and runs ok. But I'm still getting the same error 5 seconds after running the software from the desktop icon.

Message 4 of 20
hashim.mundol

Please try as a different admin user in windows to install.

if it fails, please send us the log files. (from %temp% folder)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 20
tirwin
in reply to: hashim.mundol

I am having this exact problem.  I downloaded the 30 day trial version and everytime that I open Inventor, I get the same warning for SERIALNUM and Inventor crashes.  Is there a fix for this?  I have tried installing in "safe mode" for XP as stated above and also tried installing as an adminsitrator, but I still get the same error.

Message 6 of 20

Hello iechaurr and tirwin,

Do you still meet this issue or you have found a way to launch Inventor successfully?

If you still meet this issue till now, could you please send the Customer Error Report to Autodesk with your email address and post the Report ID here for us to investigate?

Thank you.

Regards,

Helen

Message 7 of 20

Could you please try to uninstall Net 3.5 from Add/Remove programs and re-install it from the media - [Media]\3rdParty\NET\35SP1\wcu\dotNetFramework folder, to see whether it can resolve your problem?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Helen

Message 8 of 20

I too am having this issue on 2 brand new workstations, I have submitted two error reports, please msg me for the email they were atached too.

'are we any closer to a fix on this? I figure it has to be with registry or a config file as i have tried pretty much everything else...

Message 9 of 20

Hello phreaker,

Could you please patch Autodesk Inventor 2012 Service Pack 1 firstly and try to activate it again to see whether still meet this problem?

You can find the SP1 from:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17534725&linkID=9242019

Please email me to let me know which email account you inputed when sending the CER report to us.

My email address is: Helen.ChenATAutodeskDOTcom

Thank you.

Regards,

Helen

Message 10 of 20

Hi Helen,

patched to sp1 no effect, same errors.

Message 11 of 20

Hello phreaker,

Could you please email me to let me know which email account you inputed when sending the CER report to us?

My email address is: Helen.ChenATAutodeskDOTcom

Thank you. 

Regards,

Helen

Message 12 of 20

Email sent,

please let me know if you did not get it.

will continue to post updates here as to assist other with this matter,

Message 13 of 20

Hello phreaker,

Could you please try below steps to see whether can resolve your problem?

1. Uninstall Inventor 2012
  2. Delete the below files from your XP 64bit OS, you can find them under: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\AdLM
  • CascadeInfo.cas
  • ProductInformation.pit

Please note the folder “Application Data” is a hidden folder in OS, please change OS to show the hidden files and folders firstly.

3. Uninstall .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from your machine from Control Panel->Add/Remove Program

4. Install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from the installation package under 3rdParty\NET\35SP1

5. Install Inventor 2012

Thank you very much for your assistant and patient.

I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Helen

Message 14 of 20

inventor 2012 not started. have installed the downloaded fre version but it does not start. i have sent the error reports. also while activation it asks for product request code, but i got the seriel no and key only
Message 15 of 20

Ok just a heads up,

my problem ended up being caused by my all users folder being named different,

in my case my allusers folder was named "all users.windows"

so those users with dual boot or an upgraded OS would run into problems...

so i am all sorted as i ended up have to format and reinstall windows  but just wanted to fill users in on what my problem was.

Message 16 of 20

Thank phreaker's update very much. 🙂

Hello all,

In order to help you resolve the issue, here is more information for your reference.

Whether your reinstall your OS but without format the system harddisk?

Please check whether you have below 2 folders in your OS:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.windows

And whether the AdLM folder is happened to be installed in:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\AdLM

For your reference, please check out below 2 posts I googled from Internet:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/quick-question-about-all-users-windows-369826.html

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/allusers-windows-t377813.html

Regards,

Helen

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 17 of 20
kcg231286

i have downloaded free version of inventor 2012 and installed. but it not yet stated. it gives error msg as failed to send SERIALNUM. i sent error reports but no useful response from autodesk. anybody got solved this solution?

Message 18 of 20

Hello kcg231286,

Are you using XP 64 OS? Could you please read the previous post I sent to see whether you have All Users.windows folder as well?

Regards,

Helen

Message 19 of 20

i have hp pavilion dv6 1319tx model laptop, windows 7 32bit OS. single boot.

Message 20 of 20

Hello kcg231286,

Could you please check whether there is AdWindows.dll from the Bin folder of Inventor installation path?

If there is, what's the version of that file?

Thank you.

Regards,

Helen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report