Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2000/Softdesk8 on Win2K

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
synergy
277 Views, 2 Replies

AutoCAD 2000/Softdesk8 on Win2K

I'm a network support consultant working with a client who is currently running AutoCAD 14/Softdesk8 Architectural Desktop on Win95 workstation/NT4.0 network. She has a copy of AutoCAD 2000 but hasn't upgraded because, according to her, there are some compatibility or file translation problems between AutoCAD 2000 and Softdesk8. We are getting ready to upgrade the entire network to Win2K Server/Workstation. What versions of AutoCAD and Softdesk should she be running for best compatibility? TIA for your answer.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: synergy

It is not possible to run Softdesk 8 on Autocad 2000. Won't work today, won't work ever.
If she wants to keep S8 she will have to remain on R14 for the rest of her life. There is
no product upgrades planned for any Softdesk modules. The only upgrade path from Softdesk
modules are "desktop" verticals. (Architectural Desktop, Land Development Desktop,
Building Systems Electrical, Mechanical etc).
If you are changing her OS to W2k you may (pronounced will) experience some problems. If
she is using a network version of R14 you'll need to replace the adesksys.dll (see "Error
message when starting a network AutoCAD 2000 license on a Windows 200 client" posted
8/29/01 for additional information, yes I know that person is running AutoCAD 2000, but
it's the same for R14.01). If it's plain R14 (network version) it just won't run on W2k.
I've not tried R14 non network on W2k, but it should work.

There are also some compatibility problems with S8 and W2k. See below for some
information

listen here it is this is the way you get it to work. (since i am the one
who discovered it).
1. Install R14.
2. Install S8.
3. On win2k cd in \support copy apcompat.exe to hd
4. run apcompat select browse go to sdsk.exe select nt4. sp5. select make
selection perm.
thats it it works for s8 building service and autoarch.

Ed Struchowski

Those are the only major items that hit me right now for R14 / S8.

If you go the Autocad 2000 / 2002 / ADT route you may experience some additional problems.
If plain 2000 you'll still need to do that adesksys.dll (if network version). If 2002
(and I think 2000i) you don't have to worry with adesksys.dll. User rights can also be an
issue. If you want her to run as a standard domain user (non power user right) then
you'll need to do some security configuration (see post titled Admin or Power User
Rights-Need Help posted 8/30/01 for additional information).

If she is using the network version then you'll probably be upgrading here adlm as well.
Please post back if she is and we'll work with you on that, but it's to long of an
explanation if you don't need to worry about it.

hth

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"synergy" wrote in message news:f0797ee.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I'm a network support consultant working with a client who is currently running AutoCAD
14/Softdesk8 Architectural Desktop on Win95 workstation/NT4.0 network. She has a copy of
AutoCAD 2000 but hasn't upgraded because, according to her, there are some compatibility
or file translation problems between AutoCAD 2000 and Softdesk8. We are getting ready to
upgrade the entire network to Win2K Server/Workstation. What versions of AutoCAD and
Softdesk should she be running for best compatibility? TIA for your answer.
>
Message 3 of 3
whorton
in reply to: synergy

S8 only works with Autocad 14 the Autocad/S8 combination should have been upgraded to architectural desktop. The apcompat fix works on all the systems win2k system I have upgraded with exceptions. Installing new software may for some unknown reason will undo the apcompat fix. I suggest you leave instructions on its use nearby if it happens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report