Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon AutoCAD purchase question, plz.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
drjohn
2562 Views, 8 Replies

Amazon AutoCAD purchase question, plz.

I am a CAD drafter/graphic artist and am totally mentally challenged when it comes to legalities.

We are running LT 2012 and I want to upgrade but only to full 2012.
 I know it is not in the sales cycle but I did find a few copies out in the wild that are in sealed boxes.

Question: Can I purchase these for my small company (I am a worker, not owner) and still remain legal?

Regards,

DJ

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
DarrenP
in reply to: drjohn

i wouldn't

you can however upgrade to autocad 2014 with sub and then request a previous of 2012

this you can do

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
TravisNave

Darren is right.  Though you can legally buy AutoCAD on Amazon, there are also other sales on there that aren't Amazon.  That is not legal and you might shoot yourself in the foot.

Buy from a VAR.  Get Subcription.  Ask for 2012.  At least when you're ready to upgrade, you'll automatically get 2015.  It's just the smart way to go. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 9
drjohn
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanx guys, but subscription is not gonna happen at my company. We are a "small business" according the the feds. We just don't have the budget to buy at full retail. When I started there in 2010 they were still running 2000LT. To get them to buy 2012 I had to download the trial of Full 2012 and show them how well it worked and what I could do with it. That, of course, made them 2012 drawing files (because I saved them that way intentionally) Then they bought 2012 cause 2000 would open the files. Subversive I know, but the end justifies the means in this case. I was working with handcuffs on in LT. Still think that, too. Even if "LT is ACAD". Actually, IMHO LT is AutoSketch on steroids. I don't see us upgrading to 2014 anytime soon and I certainly don't see 2015 coming into our house. So once again, aside from the caveats mentioned above, if the box is still in the shrink wrap and has not been installed or activation has not been attempted, is it legal in the true sense of the word? My foot is expendable if it gets me 2012. ;-) Don't mean to be argumentative, just wanna get a full version of ACAD and this seems to be the only way I can get it. It's also about 25% of the cost of 2014 not to mention the subscription cost. My office manager is so tight he squeaks when he walks. TIA Regards, DJ
Message 5 of 9
TravisNave

New in box means nothing in the licensing world. You could always do 2014
and just save back to 2010 format. Just a thought.

Unless you buy the software new from a reseller (not private party) then it
is not legal and you will not be able to activate it no matter how much
plastic is wrapping it.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: TravisNave

If you need extra help explaining it to those with the purse strings, explain it this way.  You don't buy software, you buy the rights to use it.  People can sell the media, compiled code, etc. but not the right to use the software.  That can only be sold by AutoDesk.  It can be difficult for those who only deal with tangible assets and not intellectual property to wrap their heads around.

"Can't afford it" sends up all sorts of warning flares for me.  If its what the business does, then whats happening to the revenue being generated?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 9
pendean

I could have sworn you already had LT2014 and pretty much dislike it?

Your question was answered truthfully: contact a reseller in your area to discover in more details what your options are in $$ and facts. Do the same with the Amazon deal you want to catch: it may be a dream or nightmare, no one here can tell. But you seem eager to jump.

Enjoy.
Message 8 of 9
drjohn
in reply to: pendean

Thanx for your input, Dean. I am anxious to move to full version or 2012 but only if it's a good deal and legal. As you said, it could be a dream or a nightmare and by posting here I am doing part of my due diligence. This is just one of the steps. Actually, I was hoping a 'Desker would jump in here since that was who told me to post here since they couldn't answer my PM'd question. I will have to get a price from several sources with the price and benefits of each one and submit that to the office manager with my justification for the purchase. Again, we are not a large corporation, but a small business. No I don't have 2014LT. However, at home I run the trial of all the versions that come out to see how they work and what changes/improvements are made. I personally don't plan to move to 2014 immediately but that is just me for right now. I don't hate it but rather am apprehensive. My CAD system goes down and we shut the shop (figuratively speaking). I'll not jump until I have looked over the edge. ;-) Regards, DJ
Message 9 of 9
pendean

Only Amazon cotrols what they sell: no one at Autodesk is going to validate a storefront owned and oeprated by someone else.

Contact Amazon sales support and inquire, express your concerns: and contact a reseller in your region for the Autodesk 'method' of purchasing what you need.

FYI, small shop or not, Autodesk is moving to a subscription model starting next February. Be prepared with a game plan beyond your short-term R2012 need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report