Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax 2013 will not intsall on my D:/ drive

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
10339 Views, 7 Replies

3dsmax 2013 will not intsall on my D:/ drive

Despite choosing the D:/ as my directory It contnues popping up with a message saying the

destination C:/ drive does not have enough space.

How do I install it to my D:/ drive?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ive attached a print screen where you can see the destionation is the 😧 drive and there is plenty of available

space but it pops up with the box in the middle showing my C:  drive as the problem.

Message 3 of 8
DarrenP

parts of the program has to install to OS drive this is how windows works

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: DarrenP

Yes, I understand that but 1.78 gig of the required 3 gig? Thats more than half going to the c: drive when I specified

the 😧 drive. T

Message 5 of 8
TravisNave

That's because your %TEMP% location is on C:\ and you will need all that space during installation for it to dump files to.  Plus profile settings, start menu items, icons, etc. 

You should *always* leave 20% of your C:\ free for performance reasons. Consider moving your swap file to D:\ and clean out everything in your %TEMP% as well as temporary internet files.  Also, if you are Vista or Windows 7, disabled the Hibernation file.  Have your IT help you if necessary.  All of these could potentially save you in upwards of 10GB of space immediately.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Ok, so you actually CAN INSTALL 3ds max on different drive completely! It will use few MBs of space on C: if you have your users folder there, but that is all (and you can move your users folder to different drive too, just google how to do it).

How to do it:

Just get your hands on full installation package of 3ds max (not the one that needs to download files) - I won't mention where to get this package, that's your job to find... So this package can be extracted ANYWHERE - any drive. And also the following installation can be installed anywhere. It won't use a single gigabyte of your system C: drive if you don't want to.

After the installation, just enter your valid license information and you are good to go.

Seriosly, this program doesn't need any single file in your system drive (I guess except the registry information). So why the default installation REQUIRES 8 GBs of space on C: even if you choose different drive as an installation path is beyond me...

Message 7 of 8
maarten.van.assche

I have 10GB left on my C and 400 on my D drive.

In autodesk app  settings i have both products and contents on D:\ProgramData\Autodesk

Yet when installing it stops and says i need 2 more gigabytes because its 12gb and i only have '10gb', obviously its looking at my C while i clearly put D in the settings.

Message 8 of 8
Pola_S
in reply to: maarten.van.assche

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report