Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max freezing on Windows 8

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dmt229
1745 Views, 9 Replies

3ds Max freezing on Windows 8

I've done a good amount of searching, but no one seems to have the same problem as I.

I installed using "install now", and everything installed perfectly. However, once I run the application, I see this-

3ds.jpg

It says "Initializing 3ds Max..." at the bottom left, and a blank window in front called "Autodesk licensing".

When I right click->close the program on my task bar, this pops up->

3ds2.jpg

If I click activate, this happens->

3ds3.jpg

I tried uninstalling and deleting all folders, and reinstalled using the "Browser download" option. Everything installed perfectly once again. This time, before the program was opened, I was prompted for my serial number and product key. I entered them and they were both accepted. Then I was taken to the first picture I posted. Now whenever I try to start up 3ds Max, the same thing happens.

I'm using Windows 8, and installing 3ds Max 2013. Both 64-bit. I run the program as administrator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
DarrenP
in reply to: dmt229

try this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=6404339&linkID=9240617

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
dmt229
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks for the help!

This suggests that IE 9 is the culprit. Seeing that IE 10 is default on windows 8, I have uninstalled it. However, upon trying to install IE 8, I am told that it is not supported on windows 8.

Any other tips?

Message 4 of 10
DarrenP

that was only one solution

did you read the rest?

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
dmt229

I just completed each suggestion except for # 3, which I'm not entirely sure how to do.

My active X and script controls are all enabled on my IE 10 settings. 

One interesting thing I found- I copied the URL of the blank licensing window that pops up. I put it into google chrome (the main browser I use), and everything plays normally. The only think is that the google chrome window doesn't get me anywhere because when it is done saying "verifying", nothing happens.

Is there a way to get the licensing window to open on google chrome by default, rather than IE? I think it would work if that were possible.

EDIT: Since I verified my product key via google chrome, I was able to receive an activation code in my email. It says I have to open 3ds Max to enter it, but that blank box is still there. Is there another way to activate the product without having to deal with all of this?

Message 6 of 10
dmt229

Completed solution 3, still nothing.

I have now exhausted all solutions on that page. What now?

Message 7 of 10
DarrenP

no clue

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
dmt229

My plan of action is to attempt to install and activate 3ds max 2013 on my windows 7 laptop. Then I will attempt to transfer the license.

This might end up being a waste of time because the LTU probably uses the same scripting as the activation wizard. Ugh. Autodesk should really look at their Windows 8 compatability.

Message 9 of 10
philip.s

Hello,

Can you actually please repeat step 3 (appears that this might need to be done twice for Windows 8 users) and let us know if that resolves the issue?

3.  Manually register the Jscript.dll and VBscript.dll files

If the previous steps do not work, you may need to manually register the Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll files.

1. Open the Windows Command Prompt.
  2. At the command prompt, navigate to one of the following folders:  

On the 32-bit version of Vista/Win7

C:\Windows\System32

On the 64-bit version of Vista/Win7

C:\Windows\SysWow64 

3. At the command prompt, enter regsvr32 jscript.dll
  4. At the command prompt, enter regsvr32 vbscript.dll
Message 10 of 10
dmt229
in reply to: philip.s

Thanks, Phillip! But it didn't work again. I attempted entering it into both system32 and syswow64 two times each.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report