Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000i to 2005 on netware

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
158 Views, 6 Replies

2000i to 2005 on netware

We are running the license manager on a NW5.1 box, we just got our upgrade to 2005. It seems netware is no longer supported, i guess in favor of less stable os'. Would it be possible to say , create the licensing keys, etc. on a windows box, then move them over to our novell box and use the license manager? Is autodesk in bed with microsoft? Harvey Titanium, LAN Admin
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Only Windows OS's are supported for the Autodesk vendor daemon; TCP/IP is another requirement. OS support is driven by customer demand. Now, the license manager doesn't use much bandwidth or resources, so it's fine to run it on one of your workstations. --Cy-- "Harvey Titanium" wrote in message news:4113cf26$1_2@newsprd01... > We are running the license manager on a NW5.1 box, we just got our > upgrade to 2005. It seems netware is no longer supported, i guess in > favor of less stable os'. Would it be possible to say , create the > licensing keys, etc. on a windows box, then move them over to our novell > box and use the license manager? Is autodesk in bed with microsoft? > > Harvey Titanium, > LAN Admin
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Cy Shuster wrote: > Only Windows OS's are supported for the Autodesk vendor daemon; TCP/IP is > another requirement. OS support is driven by customer demand. > > Now, the license manager doesn't use much bandwidth or resources, so it's > fine to run it on one of your workstations. > > --Cy-- > > "Harvey Titanium" wrote in message > news:4113cf26$1_2@newsprd01... > >>We are running the license manager on a NW5.1 box, we just got our >>upgrade to 2005. It seems netware is no longer supported, i guess in >>favor of less stable os'. Would it be possible to say , create the >>licensing keys, etc. on a windows box, then move them over to our novell >>box and use the license manager? Is autodesk in bed with microsoft? >> >>Harvey Titanium, >>LAN Admin > > > Well that's nifty. My servers run 24/7/365, my work stations don't. Argh, I wish the head of the engineering dept. sorted this out before buying it and handing it to me. He said, "well it worked on netware before." I might have him return it and buy indvidual single-user copies. Thanks for your input.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Please see this detailed set of white papers on AutoCAD 2005 network installations: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=4418410 --Cy--
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hey Guys, Actually what changed here is the license manager. With AutoCAD 2000i you are using Elan license manager. Elan has been gone for some time now so we had to change to a newer license manager. We went with FLEX as it was used by a lot of our customer base. When we first started working this out with Globetrotter we were told they had NLM support. But in reality they had already dropped it. Novell license manager support went away when we moved to the new license manager. Now if you have any TCP/IP stations you can use that to run FLEX. Also Novell has even moved to TCP/IP. Both my 5x and 6x Novell servers in the LAB run TCP/IP at this time. So at some point your going to need to make the change. Hope this helps explain why there is no Novell NLM for FLEX. Thanks for posting to the News Groups. Bud Schroeder AutoCAD Test Development Autodesk Inc. "Harvey Titanium" wrote in message news:4113fd65$1_3@newsprd01... > Cy Shuster wrote: > > Only Windows OS's are supported for the Autodesk vendor daemon; TCP/IP is > > another requirement. OS support is driven by customer demand. > > > > Now, the license manager doesn't use much bandwidth or resources, so it's > > fine to run it on one of your workstations. > > > > --Cy-- > > > > "Harvey Titanium" wrote in message > > news:4113cf26$1_2@newsprd01... > > > >>We are running the license manager on a NW5.1 box, we just got our > >>upgrade to 2005. It seems netware is no longer supported, i guess in > >>favor of less stable os'. Would it be possible to say , create the > >>licensing keys, etc. on a windows box, then move them over to our novell > >>box and use the license manager? Is autodesk in bed with microsoft? > >> > >>Harvey Titanium, > >>LAN Admin > > > > > > > Well that's nifty. My servers run 24/7/365, my work stations don't. > Argh, I wish the head of the engineering dept. sorted this out before > buying it and handing it to me. He said, "well it worked on netware > before." I might have him return it and buy indvidual single-user > copies. Thanks for your input.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.] wrote: > Hey Guys, > > Actually what changed here is the license manager. With AutoCAD 2000i you > are using Elan license manager. Elan has been gone for some time now so we > had to change to a newer license manager. We went with FLEX as it was used > by a lot of our customer base. When we first started working this out with > Globetrotter we were told they had NLM support. But in reality they had > already dropped it. Novell license manager support went away when we moved > to the new license manager. > > Now if you have any TCP/IP stations you can use that to run FLEX. Also > Novell has even moved to TCP/IP. Both my 5x and 6x Novell servers in the > LAB run TCP/IP at this time. So at some point your going to need to make > the change. > > Hope this helps explain why there is no Novell NLM for FLEX. > > Thanks for posting to the News Groups. > > Bud Schroeder > AutoCAD Test Development > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > "Harvey Titanium" wrote in message > news:4113fd65$1_3@newsprd01... > >>Cy Shuster wrote: >> >>>Only Windows OS's are supported for the Autodesk vendor daemon; TCP/IP > > is > >>>another requirement. OS support is driven by customer demand. >>> >>>Now, the license manager doesn't use much bandwidth or resources, so > > it's > >>>fine to run it on one of your workstations. >>> >>>--Cy-- >>> >>>"Harvey Titanium" wrote in message >>>news:4113cf26$1_2@newsprd01... >>> >>> >>>>We are running the license manager on a NW5.1 box, we just got our >>>>upgrade to 2005. It seems netware is no longer supported, i guess in >>>>favor of less stable os'. Would it be possible to say , create the >>>>licensing keys, etc. on a windows box, then move them over to our novell >>>>box and use the license manager? Is autodesk in bed with microsoft? >>>> >>>>Harvey Titanium, >>>>LAN Admin >>> >>> >>> >>Well that's nifty. My servers run 24/7/365, my work stations don't. >>Argh, I wish the head of the engineering dept. sorted this out before >>buying it and handing it to me. He said, "well it worked on netware >>before." I might have him return it and buy indvidual single-user >>copies. Thanks for your input. > > > Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for. Now i have my ammo for when I talk to the department managers. As for our Netware servers, yes they all run TCP/IP. But the Elan nlm is ipx only, so now i see the issue. Thanks again guys
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Glad we could help. Thanks Bud "Harvey Titanium" wrote in message news:4117a49d$1_3@newsprd01... > Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.] wrote: > > Hey Guys, > > > > Actually what changed here is the license manager. With AutoCAD 2000i you > > are using Elan license manager. Elan has been gone for some time now so we > > had to change to a newer license manager. We went with FLEX as it was used > > by a lot of our customer base. When we first started working this out with > > Globetrotter we were told they had NLM support. But in reality they had > > already dropped it. Novell license manager support went away when we moved > > to the new license manager. > > > > Now if you have any TCP/IP stations you can use that to run FLEX. Also > > Novell has even moved to TCP/IP. Both my 5x and 6x Novell servers in the > > LAB run TCP/IP at this time. So at some point your going to need to make > > the change. > > > > Hope this helps explain why there is no Novell NLM for FLEX. > > > > Thanks for posting to the News Groups. > > > > Bud Schroeder > > AutoCAD Test Development > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > > > > > > "Harvey Titanium" wrote in message > > news:4113fd65$1_3@newsprd01... > > > >>Cy Shuster wrote: > >> > >>>Only Windows OS's are supported for the Autodesk vendor daemon; TCP/IP > > > > is > > > >>>another requirement. OS support is driven by customer demand. > >>> > >>>Now, the license manager doesn't use much bandwidth or resources, so > > > > it's > > > >>>fine to run it on one of your workstations. > >>> > >>>--Cy-- > >>> > >>>"Harvey Titanium" wrote in message > >>>news:4113cf26$1_2@newsprd01... > >>> > >>> > >>>>We are running the license manager on a NW5.1 box, we just got our > >>>>upgrade to 2005. It seems netware is no longer supported, i guess in > >>>>favor of less stable os'. Would it be possible to say , create the > >>>>licensing keys, etc. on a windows box, then move them over to our novell > >>>>box and use the license manager? Is autodesk in bed with microsoft? > >>>> > >>>>Harvey Titanium, > >>>>LAN Admin > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>Well that's nifty. My servers run 24/7/365, my work stations don't. > >>Argh, I wish the head of the engineering dept. sorted this out before > >>buying it and handing it to me. He said, "well it worked on netware > >>before." I might have him return it and buy indvidual single-user > >>copies. Thanks for your input. > > > > > > > > Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for. Now i have my ammo for > when I talk to the department managers. As for our Netware servers, yes > they all run TCP/IP. But the Elan nlm is ipx only, so now i see the issue. > > Thanks again guys >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report