Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me build a powerful computer please!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
arram1
1108 Views, 11 Replies

Help me build a powerful computer please!

I am looking to build a computer that will run autodesk 3dsmax with no problems. If some one could help me build something around $1k or less, that would be very appreciated. I know I want an i7 , ssd, and a really good graphic card for the software. Newegg would be preferred since they ship quickly. Thanks for any input

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: arram1

US$1000? Sadly that does not match up with your post's title or the first sentence of your post.

What kind of animation/rendering do you do with 3DMax? is this for school, or a business (or going out on your own home-business)? This may help with recommendations for you.

Message 3 of 12
arram1

thanks for the reply. This is for school I will use at home. I decided I don't need a $1200 computer for something I'll barely use. Could you recommend me a dell on ebay or anywhere that will have the graphics card that will work with it ? I know I want an i7. 800-900 price range sounds reasonable. thanks

Message 4 of 12
bgingerich

Just to put things in perspective for you, I went and bought a $1500 laptop that barely squeaks along with full 2012.  You're going to need a computer that costs a little bit more than $8-900 for doing something as intensive as 3dmax.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 5 of 12
pendean

SWith your budget, you'll just end up with a "just enough but not great" laptop: times are tough, so I understand why you want to keep the cost down.

RAM in excess of 4Gig and a processor at i5 level or higher should be the priority: the rest will be determined by your budget. Good luck.

Message 7 of 12
pendean

Processor?

Message 8 of 12
arram1

Intel i7 3770K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

I actually cancelled the 1TB 7200rpm hard drive, and got a 64gb SSD instead. So saved $20, but ill be adding another hdd at some point down the line in case I need it.

Message 9 of 12
pendean

You'll run out of room very quickly with the 64Gig.

Message 10 of 12
David_Knight
in reply to: pendean

I know this post is way out of date... but ... i felt the need to reply.  

Dean is right, 64gb is not enough for an OS.

I wouldnt even consider installing windows 7 (i dont have win8) on a drive under 128gb.  The lst two PC's ive built for work sit with around 15-20gb free space on them (using 128gb SSD Drives).

I decided after my last built i would be now using 160GB or 256GB drives in the future.

Message 11 of 12
nocancer

If you write him, you have to put  "SMD" in the subject otherwise he may not read the email.

<jackncarolwarf@hotmail.com>;

Jack in Sacramento, California built me a desk top computer about 6 months ago.

Came with a 19" Dell HD Monitor, keyboard and mouse and speakers. Think he put in a better video card. ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
He put a card in for doing HD Cameras.

Jack built me a used computer for $300. I am sure S/H would be less than $100. You have to give him details about what your using it for. The unit was used but  came out of Dell and he put in a new hard drive. He has to destroy the original drives. The DVD CD Rom was bad and he sent me a new one with software and I put it in and everything works great.

This vet knows what he is doing. Been doing it for years. A real nice person.

<jackncarolwarf@hotmail.com>;

Jack built me a Window 7 with 8 GB of Ram

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU
E6750 @ 2.66GHz 2.67 GHz

8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)

64-bit Operation System

Wayne Graham
nocancer   at    yahoo
StopCancer.com
Living-water.info

PS I built a machine out of 55 gallon barrow with 2 motors and thinking I should put on 3D. I sure can not afford this software. 30 day trail. Any ideas. Are there any students looking for an easy project. Most everything is circles other than item bearings corners. Many Blessings

Message 12 of 12
braudpat

Hello

A few french advices :

- The fastest CPU (ONLY ONE) depending from your budget

Intel Core i5 (3rd Generation - 4 cores) running at 3 Ghz (or more) is the best choice today 

- Win Seven Pro 64 bits and 8 Gb Ram (or more) - If possible : No Windows Eight !?

- "Small Good" graphic card : NVidia Quadro 600 (or equivalent from ATI : AMD FirePro v4900) if possible

Please a graphic card with its OWN memory

- HD : please a fast SATA 7200/10000 rnd/mn

or SSD (primary disk) + fast SATA (secondary disk)

Good Luck, Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums