Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-Spline edge behavior

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dsp39
540 Views, 4 Replies

T-Spline edge behavior

Hi all,

This is probably a quickie.  I'm getting inconsistent behavior with my t-spline edges, which I suspect is a result of how I've created them.  Take a look a the two attached pictures.  The loop just above the highlighted face behaves as I want it to on the left hand side of the model, but the edge pulls on the long direction on the right hand side.  The loop also fails to fully select with a double click--stops right at the edge termination where you'd expect.  Is there a way that I can force this loop to re-establish as a continuous entity around the model?

Thanks!

drop_smooth.PNG

drop_sharp.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
schneik-adsk
in reply to: dsp39

try using repair body and see if there are unwelded edges.
Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 5
TRACERfire

Alternatively, if the problem doesn't resolve through validation/repair (and you don't need to maintin a parametric workflow) you could UNSTITCH the problem half of the model and mirror the "good" geometry over.

-John-Paul McCarthy
Message 4 of 5
deyop

It looks like the edges are ending in Star points on one side and T-points on the other.  When you use the Repair Body command they should be labeled.  By selecting the Star points they will convert to a T-point which should allow you to select the loop.  I would be interested in learning more about how the model got to this state if you can remember.  You can find a video explaining how the Repair Body command works in the learning area.  You will find it in the "Creating forms using T-Splines" area.  It is called "Repair a T-Spline Body".

Message 5 of 5
dsp39
in reply to: deyop

Thanks y'all.  A repair body allowed the edges to loop, but it looks like one of the points is still a star.  I have since deleted some of the length-wise edges to simplify the body, which helped as well.

@deyop, I will totally watch that video.  I'm wielding T-Splines like a 400-lb gorilla, it will be good to learn more about best practices, and how the heck to use that repair tool...so far mashing buttons has repaired the bulk...

Ah, how did I get there...  I started with a long box, added details on either end with extrusions, then selected some of the length-wise edges and inserted more edges to allow myself to better control the contour of the top surface (a fingerboard on a violin).  I believe the intersection shown above is one of the original circumferential edges intersecting with a combination of original and inserted length-wise edges.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report