Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds on Windows 7 requiring admin rights?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
paul.ashley
3556 Views, 4 Replies

3ds on Windows 7 requiring admin rights?

We are moving to Windows 7 and have found that, although other Autodesk programs run fine without admin rights, 3ds appears to require it.  Does anyone know if this is the case and if so, if there is a way around it? 

Note that:

• We are running 3ds using FlexLM.
  • We already tried setting the exe to "Run as Administrator"
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: paul.ashley

The way around it is simply to give your engineers local admin rights on their machines.  There really is no reason not to do this.  Local administrator rights does not grant any more privilege to the domain security.  It simply allows the engineer to do what they need to do on their local machine.  There have been many posts about this over the past years, but the consensus remains that local admin rights should be granted.  They have been, in fact, a requirement for many of the suites.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
iDS!
in reply to: paul.ashley

Please elaborate on your "Admin Rights" required statement.

I am being hit with this same issue by a large corporation that has taken over the company I work for...the local IT has no problem granting Local Admin...but Corp has other plans...Corp also has very few other users that run autodesk softwares...we on the other hand do!

I have 18+ yrs dealing with IT (mainly AutoCAD/ Inventor)...have always come to terms with IT and 9/10 times become the liaison for Engineering...

My understanding is that Autodesk softwares right to restricted parts of the Registry and Program Files amongst other places outside of confines of "User" privileges and therefore without Local Admin rights potential issues with daily operation is inevitable.

Most of my experience comes from XP...however now W7 has "better" policy and privileges that may be restricting more issues...but I noticed (and need to research more) the User Accounts has other designations like "Power User" etc... 

I suspect Autodesk should provide a clear understanding to this and suggest it in the install notes as to what User Account Settings are required...please!

Message 4 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: iDS!

Autodesk has pretty much always required Admin Rights, especially for its more advanced programs.  You can find multiple instanaces of it in the KB.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10396334&linkID=9241177

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17024312&linkID=9241177

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=5582464&linkID=9241177

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10396270&linkID=9241177

You can find even more instances by searching the forum.  In some instances you can get by with Power User rights, but local Administrator rights is generally recommended. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 5
paul.ashley
in reply to: iDS!

We had no problems with any Autodesk programs when using XP.  Under Windows 7, 3ds is the only product we've had issues with so far.  We're using AutoCAD 2011, Revit (all flavors), DWG Trueview, and Design Review.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report