Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior

Reply
*remg
Message 1 of 10 (76 Views)

ADT Survey

76 Views, 9 Replies
10-12-2001 10:33 PM
I would like to find out if any of you mind providing me with some stats on
your ADT usage.

1. Are you running more than 10 seats of ADT? (if yes please help with the
following)

2. How do you handle working with outside consultants not using ADT or
equivalent (i.e.. structural, electrical, mechanical), do you saveas,
explode, strip or simply send them your base drawings and let them deal
with it?

3. Are your consultants willing to upgrade to work with you? or do you force
them?

We have over (80) seats at our firm and right now we use straight 2000.
There seems to be a restriction on what we can use due to outside
consultants unwilling to upgrade. Traditionally many Architectural firms who
have good relationships with their consultants or engineers tend to let them
have their way. Should this be the case?

I would appreciate any insight you may provide.
I would like to migrate to ADT, as I know it would be very productive.

Thanks
Bob
Distinguished Contributor
Posts: 130
Registered: ‎06-15-2003
Message 2 of 10 (76 Views)

Re: ADT Survey

10-12-2001 10:54 PM in reply to: *remg
Bob, I would tell my consultants to simply load up ADT Object Enabler, then they would have no problem with your drawings out of ADT, at least that is what I'm told. There is a big lerning curve in ADT and with 80 stations going that is a major undertaking why put it off?

You will never get all of your consultants - engineers to all get on the same page. The question I pose to you is out of everyone that you share files with how many are R14, 2000, 2000i, & 2002? That answer alone should give you some insight as to what direction to go in.

Joe Giannetti, Sr.
Yankee Builders, Inc.
yankeeb@home.com
*remg
Message 3 of 10 (76 Views)

Re:

10-13-2001 12:19 PM in reply to: *remg
The issue is how much is my company willing to spend to
support the consultants. None are using 2002 or 2000i, the industry has not
caught up yet not on the large scale end. Large firms have much difficulty in
dealing with consultants. As for Object enabler, I know its fine but the
drawings need to work completely at both ends as it is not a one way trip on
drawings. As for ADT the learning curve is not that great as I have been using
it since it arrived and to train ADT to others is not that complicated. The
direction is ADT without a doubt...the questions is how to get the consultants
there along side.

 

Bob


style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Bob,
I would tell my consultants to simply load up ADT Object Enabler, then they
would have no problem with your drawings out of ADT, at least that is what I'm
told. There is a big lerning curve in ADT and with 80 stations going that is a
major undertaking why put it off?

You will never get all of your consultants - engineers to all get on the
same page. The question I pose to you is out of everyone that you share files
with how many are R14, 2000, 2000i, & 2002? That answer alone should give
you some insight as to what direction to go in.

Joe Giannetti, Sr.
Yankee Builders, Inc.

yankeeb@home.com

Contributor
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎12-02-2003
Message 4 of 10 (76 Views)

Re:

10-14-2001 03:27 AM in reply to: *remg
I am both an instructor (at a 2 year technical college) and a registered architect...both positions require a thorough working knowledge of ADT. I am in total agreement with your statement that ADT is the only way to go for architecturally based CAD and documentation. If your firm feels so strong about this direction, then maybe you suggest to your consultants that they either join forces or you will find other consultants that share your direction. I find there is too much time spent doing save-as, revising, using object-enablers, etc...that if everyone just starts from the same base it goes a lot smoother.
*DeMita, Tom
Message 5 of 10 (76 Views)

Re:

10-14-2001 06:12 AM in reply to: *remg
I work for a structural engineer and we use ADT 3.3 but only one
Architectural firm uses ADT and only a few of the jobs that they do are with
ADT. I really don't think you are going to find a lot of consultants using
it.
A short poll, what percentage of consultants are using it in your area? This
question goes to every one that reads this.
Tom
*remg
Message 6 of 10 (76 Views)

Re:

10-14-2001 09:08 AM in reply to: *remg
I am glad to see i am not alone...the funny things that fromw year to year
it was just jumping from autocad to autocad and it really didnt matter what
version to an extent. But with ADT it would so much easier and flexible.

Thanks for all your input.


"Tom DeMita" wrote in message
news:2DFC0811FF6F1AC04C26C1C1BC0ECF6C@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
>
> I work for a structural engineer and we use ADT 3.3 but only one
> Architectural firm uses ADT and only a few of the jobs that they do are
with
> ADT. I really don't think you are going to find a lot of consultants using
> it.
> A short poll, what percentage of consultants are using it in your area?
This
> question goes to every one that reads this.
> Tom
>
>
*Autodesk, Dennis McNeal -
Message 7 of 10 (76 Views)

Re:

10-16-2001 01:22 AM in reply to: *remg
Ideally you would now want your consultants to use Building Systems.

Dennis McNeal
Autodesk
Building Industry Division

"Tom DeMita" wrote in message
news:2DFC0811FF6F1AC04C26C1C1BC0ECF6C@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
>
> I work for a structural engineer and we use ADT 3.3 but only one
> Architectural firm uses ADT and only a few of the jobs that they do are
with
> ADT. I really don't think you are going to find a lot of consultants using
> it.
> A short poll, what percentage of consultants are using it in your area?
This
> question goes to every one that reads this.
> Tom
>
>
*Follmer, CJ
Message 8 of 10 (76 Views)

Re: ADT Survey

10-16-2001 02:42 AM in reply to: *remg
> 2. How do you handle working with outside consultants not using ADT or
> equivalent (i.e.. structural, electrical, mechanical), do you saveas,
> explode, strip or simply send them your base drawings and let them deal
> with it?


I don't have 10 seats at my firm (only 4) but when we work with outside
consultants, I usually just explode everything down to lines. I tried the
"just install the object enabler" method for a while but had problems
because in a couple of firms, the IT people don't like the users adding
programs onto their system and usually the people with whom we would tell
this to (the project managers) were clueless about much cad since they have
drafters that do the work and the drafters either couldn't or wouldn't
install something like that since it meant doing something different. Long
story short, there was a major break down in communication and rather than
go through 6 people and maybe 2 hours to possibly get them to install an OE,
I just saved the time and exploded it all out.

I wrote a routine to do this quicker so I wouldn't have to spend that much
time explaining to the people at my firm the best way to do this since if
you don't make a copy, you could potentially wreak your ADT model.. It's
called SaveAsR14 and will first make a copy of the file to a default
location or user specified and then allows you to explode the ADT objects
plus a few other things depending on what version you're saving to- 13,14,
2000. Other things it will do is for 13 and 14, convert non-plotting layers
to defpoints, remove extra layouts and purge the drawing.

It is free at my website.

CJ Follmer
SaveAsR14
http://home.att.net/~cjenn
*Olson, Darek
Message 9 of 10 (76 Views)

Re:

10-16-2001 06:36 AM in reply to: *remg
CJ,
Does your program keep the layout tabs when it saves to 2000? Or does it
just keep one?



"CJ Follmer" wrote in message
news:8DE47395310C05975B9AE2A73E740539@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > 2. How do you handle working with outside consultants not using ADT or
> > equivalent (i.e.. structural, electrical, mechanical), do you saveas,
> > explode, strip or simply send them your base drawings and let them deal
> > with it?
>
>
> I don't have 10 seats at my firm (only 4) but when we work with outside
> consultants, I usually just explode everything down to lines. I tried the
> "just install the object enabler" method for a while but had problems
> because in a couple of firms, the IT people don't like the users adding
> programs onto their system and usually the people with whom we would tell
> this to (the project managers) were clueless about much cad since they
have
> drafters that do the work and the drafters either couldn't or wouldn't
> install something like that since it meant doing something different.
Long
> story short, there was a major break down in communication and rather than
> go through 6 people and maybe 2 hours to possibly get them to install an
OE,
> I just saved the time and exploded it all out.
>
> I wrote a routine to do this quicker so I wouldn't have to spend that much
> time explaining to the people at my firm the best way to do this since if
> you don't make a copy, you could potentially wreak your ADT model.. It's
> called SaveAsR14 and will first make a copy of the file to a default
> location or user specified and then allows you to explode the ADT objects
> plus a few other things depending on what version you're saving to- 13,14,
> 2000. Other things it will do is for 13 and 14, convert non-plotting
layers
> to defpoints, remove extra layouts and purge the drawing.
>
> It is free at my website.
>
> CJ Follmer
> SaveAsR14
> http://home.att.net/~cjenn
>
>
>
Distinguished Contributor
Posts: 130
Registered: ‎06-15-2003
Message 10 of 10 (76 Views)

Re: ADT Survey

10-19-2001 08:12 AM in reply to: *remg
Hi Bob,

I swear I sent this post once before but it does not appear, it could have gotten snipped out but I can't imagine why. Anyway, I'd like to know just how do you do business with your consultants, for example what do they do for your company, and are you looking for consultants or sub's that are already using ADT and Building Services programs? If you have time you could communicate with me via email at yankeeb@home.com, Thanks Joe Giannetti, Sr.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community