AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawing file watermarked?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
nelson4k
948 Views, 11 Replies

drawing file watermarked?

Having downloaded AutoCad 2013 for the Mac as an educational product I get the rather confusing message everytime I open up a new file that the file will always be plotted with a PRODUCED BY AN AUTODESK EDUCATIONAL PRODUCT plot stamp as it was not created by a product from the Autodesk Education Suite. It goes on to suggest saving it under a different file name, see attachment to this post. Could someone please clarify what is meant by this? Are files truly watermarked & if so, is there a workaround?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
maxim_k
in reply to: nelson4k

Hi,

Could you try to open ACAD.DWT file (if it is default template for you) ans save it in AutoCAD. You can make backup of it before saving.

Then try to restart AutoCAD and see if the message appears again.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 12
philip.s

Hello Linda and welcome to the community!

That message is actually by design, to inform them that 1) free educational products may bear a watermark on output and 2) opening / saving a commercial drawing with an educational license will contaminate it. Please see the following FAQ for more info and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Message 4 of 12
maxim_k
in reply to: philip.s

Hi Phillip,

I'm not using educational license (since I'm no longer a student Smiley Wink )

Of course watermarking drawings produced by AutoCAD activated with educational license is out of discussion.

But do you think is it normal, that if somebody who using student version gets such alert every time he (she) start new drawing?

Am I right, that after saving default drawing template that is "universal" for all AutoCAD installations in AutoCAD activated with educational license, the alert about PLOT STAMP should go away?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 12
philip.s
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim!

It is definitely normal / by design that someone get that message every time they start a new drawing. With that being said, your workaround to save the ACAD.DWT file does partially work as long as AutoCAD is already open. If it's not, then the student watermark warning will display upon startup / before loading the drawing.

Message 6 of 12
pendean

The warning goes both ways, it;'s designed to stop "accidents":

- If you are on an EDU package, it warns you when you open a file that is not already EDU-watermarked (see OP's post)

- If you are using a commercial rpoduct, it warns you when you open an EDU-Watermarked file (what you and I would get if we opened one of the OP's files).

This way no one has any of the usual highly emotional rants/excuses like "... well, I did not know..." yada yada 🙂

Your posted solution should fix it for the EDU user: save a new template file in the EDU asoftware and use it exclusively for new drawings (which every AutoCAD user should be doing anyway as you know).

Message 7 of 12
maxim_k
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

The warning goes both ways, it;'s designed to stop "accidents":

- If you are on an EDU package, it warns you when you open a file that is not already EDU-watermarked (see OP's post)

- If you are using a commercial rpoduct, it warns you when you open an EDU-Watermarked file (what you and I would get if we opened one of the OP's files).

Yes, I am aware of this and there is nothing unusual.

@pendean wrote:

Your posted solution should fix it for the EDU user: save a new template file in the EDU asoftware and use it exclusively for new drawings (which every AutoCAD user should be doing anyway as you know).

This is exactly what I mean. EDU user are aware that he (she) is EDU user, so it absolutely unnecessary to remind him (her) about this every time he (she) start new drawing. This is my opinion on this matter. Maybe I'm not right...

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 12
pendean

You are assuming someone at Autodesk planted an EDU template for EDU users in the EDU installation and setup: it doesn't work like that, never has, there is only one installer and one installation file we all get and we all install, the type of license is what triggers the watermark but it does not trigger a magical switch of template files to/from EDU.

So back to my reply, item #1: we ALL open the same non-EDU template file if we all rely on the generic AutoCAD start-a-new-file command using the Autoddesk provided 'blank' template file.

Message 9 of 12
maxim_k

Hi Dean,

I'm not asking about special templates for EDU version and I know that the installer is the same for all versions. Just want to say, that my workaround completely legal in my opinion, and could work for students, who don't want to see an alert every with new file. Nothing more.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 12
pendean

Your solution works as I have always stated, and my statements about the autocad installer are factual and correct whether you understand/accept them or not 🙂
Message 11 of 12
nelson4k
in reply to: philip.s

Didn't Autodesk at one point have a product available for the educational community whereby for a modest price you got the full version of Autocad for the mac, but without the watermarking?

Message 12 of 12
pendean

Not sure about a "modest price" but The EDU watermarks, once in a DWG file, stay in the DWG file regardless of what license is used.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost