AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part References and Balloons disappearing!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
brianfeltz
1899 Views, 10 Replies

Part References and Balloons disappearing!

Please I need help ASAP! I am using PVC fitting blocks which I am inserting through Tool Palettes and they have Part References embedding in them.  Every so often after finishing an assembly, saving and printing (every thing is fine)... the next time its opened some of the reference nodes, balloons and parts list entry will be missing! My most recent example has 2 specific parts missing from the entire assembly while the rest were just fine.

What could be the cause of this?  I have my suspicions that it is only happening on drawings opened and saved by a coworker who uses Vanilla AutoCAD 2010, but I am not positive.

Thank you in advance for your prompt responses!

AutoCAD Mechanical 2010

Brian

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
michaelsu
in reply to: brianfeltz

Hi Brian,

Are those entities in a drawing being xref? If save mechanical drawings in AutoCAD format, those mechanical entities like part references, balloons will become blocks but not disappeared.

So for further look, can you please send a problem drawing and a correct drawing to my email zhiyuan.su@autodesk?

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 11
acwtzwegers

If your co-worker is actually using new AutoCAD methods instead of pre-1992 ones, it may be related to that: there are several newer (versions of) commands (also, ironically, within AutoCAD Mechanical) that make partrefs and such disappear, or treat them like "custom objects" to be removed.

I also came across the matter that in some configs of "vanilla" AutoCAD, you can't actually see the partrefs very well - or at all (based on node/point sizes).

This can cause accidental removal (together with the fact that they may not stick to their assigned objects anymore).

Check first if your co-worker has his "proxy graphics" enabled - but preferably make sure he/she/them starts using Acad Mechanical as well: you can mod it to work/look like vanilla w/o it removing your objects.

Message 4 of 11
brianfeltz
in reply to: michaelsu

Thank you for your response.

No, these were no XREFS within these drawings.

Ill have to wait until the next time it happens to be able to forward on any drawings since we crudely fixed the last issue and it does not happen on a regular basis.

Thank you,

Brian
Message 5 of 11
brianfeltz
in reply to: acwtzwegers

My co-workers methods are that of a board drafter who just has to work on a computer. He only draws lines and circles and explodes everything that is not just lines and circles.
He swears that was not the case with this drawing and looking at it none of the important stuff was exploded.

Thank you,

Brian
Message 6 of 11
hithere8

I am having trouble with this on my AutoCAD Mechanical 2015. See HERE.

Seems like the problem has been existing for many years with AutoCAD including Mechanical.

Could the AutoCAD team look into this issue?

Thanks.

DonPart reference detached.png

Message 7 of 11
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: hithere8

Hi

Can you check the file version set in options dialog box?

Options>>Open and Save Tab>>Save As dropdown>>The file version should be "AutoCAD mechanical 2015 drawing".  If you see any of AutoCAD 2013 or other AutoCAD formats, the drawing is saved in vanilla AutoCAD format and all mechanical intelligence is lost.

Thanks

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 8 of 11
hithere8
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

Thanks Sridhar, that solved my problem!

BTW, could we suggest that ACAD Mech to alert users that those intelligent data will get lost when the file is saved as ACAD vanilla version?

Sincerely,

Don

Message 9 of 11
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: hithere8

Don,

Glad to know the issue is resolved.

I will log a wish list to have this alert considered for future releases.

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 10 of 11

Thank you for solving that issue.

I've got another question: is there any chance to restore those blocks into parts again? My company policy is to save all the files as AutoCAD2004 as a default. I've got files with blocks instead of parts now and my week worth work is gone...

That would save me tons of work 🙂

Thanks!

Message 11 of 11

Hi

If the drawing contains standard parts and symbols, we may need to reinsert them again.  if they are blocks with part references, you may need to re insert part references for respective blocks.

If your requirement is save to 2014 format, you may choose "AutoCAD Mechanical 2014" file format from Save As>>type drop down dialog box.

Thanks,

Sridhar

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost