AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDO object - Label engine problem

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
andras.zelenka
1073 Views, 10 Replies

FDO object - Label engine problem

Hi all!

Today i met an irritating problem, wich comes from the map3d label engine. I want to create some multipolygon SDF obejct, from closed polylines, with the MAPCreateFeatureFromGeometry command. After that, i setup a default label to the features (SDF), and there is a problem. Some multipolygon object doesn't have label, now i check everything, and it looks fine. After a little testing, and ivestigating, i found the source of the problem: the map3d create the label to the polygon, which have a biggest area from the multipolygons. If the centroid of the poligon is out of the geometry (outer centroid), the map3d doesn't create label to the multipolygon. This is a very big problem, i hope i can configure the labelling method, to solve this question.

How i tested: my source is 4x4 polygon (the same area).

Attache1: create multipolygon, then labelling (works fine).

Attache2: create a letter 'U' (this have a biggest area), then labelling (doesn't work).

Thanks for any advice, and tips!

Regards,

Andreijj

Map3d 2013

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
braudpat
in reply to: andras.zelenka

Hello from France

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

I have drawn 3 standard Polygones (with classic closed PLines) : rectangle, a V polygone, a U polygone

The classic 3 polygones (not Polypolygone / MPolygon) have been exported as SHP files with attributes

(The special "Closed PLine" option in the 3rd Tab of MAPEXPORT have been enabled)

Then in a NEW blank DWG with ONLY ONE FDO connection to the SHP file ...

NO Label with the 2 special polygone (the V and the U) with :

MAP 2011 + SP2 , MAP 2012 + SP2 , MAP 2013 + SP2.1 , MAP 2014 + SP1

Of course the rectangle polygone has its Label ...

Sorry but NO COMMENT !

Unfortunately some FDO features of MAP have NEVER been finished (or corrected) !

The Health, Happy New Year, Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
andras.zelenka
in reply to: braudpat

Hello Pat,

Thank you for your reply, and for the welcome.

Unfortunately i suspect, we can't solve this problem. Don't work before multipoligon features, so not noticed this bug.

Tried several FDO types, and the result was the same. My experience is, with Mapguide OS the problem still alive...so if i want all of the labels to display, need to clip the biggest poligon, if the centroid is outside the geometry. The engine doesn't handle this case? Unbelievable. It can be easily solved with inner points.

What are you doing, if you have tousands os multipolygons? Are you check every poligon, that the label is appear? Or write a db script (if the data stored in rdbms)? 

Hope somebody would find any usable solution for this case.

Regards,

Andreijj

Message 4 of 11
braudpat

Hello

I have noticed this BAD bug (with classic Polygons OR with MPolygons) since many years with MAP / MGES / AIMS / etc ...

So to have reliable Labels somewhere, you have to use an other Table with all the Texts/Attributes you need

and the "right/good/esthetic" XY position for the Label ...

To generate this Table could be a long work ... and update it also ...

Oracle Locator/Spatial & PostGIS can help you with theirs Spatial functions !?

Unfortunately the Label FDO Engine is NOT reliable especially with "strange" Polygones/MPolygons

AND with fields coming from Joins and double joins ...

Waiting for others comments/answers ...

Bye, Pat

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> To generate this Table could be a long work ... and update it also ...

>> Oracle Locator/Spatial & PostGIS can help you

Just as an additional idea how I do that steps:

use _MAPIMPORT to get the gis-geom into a new drawing, let create MPOLYGONS from the objects (include object-data)

start command _MAPCREATECENTROIDS ... that creates points with the object-data from the polygon.

And then you can run command _MAPEXPORT to export the points as GIS-points then used as an alternative to labels.

my 2c, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 11

Hi Alfred!

This method looks great, used a lot MapExport and MapImport, and its always pulled me out of trouble :). My mistake, but i doesn't know the MapCreateCentroids command, so i check it immediatly. I can use it for closed polylines too, and it can stick block is....Nice!

If i create a special block with attribute definitions, and use it pending MapCreateCentroids, then MapExport the centroids (o.c with the attribute definitions), i can create the labels easily. The Map3D create always inner centroids (in case of 'U' and 'V' shapes), i checked. But this method partially solve the problem, because the spatial data comes from rdbms, and we can't create extra temporary GIS data types (SDF, or shp) only for labelling.  

Thank you for your Reply, this was more than useful 🙂

Message 7 of 11
Murph_Map

The method that Alfred suggected used to work in Topobase with FDO shapes, however it seems to been left out of the new map3d when they tried to inprove it.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 11
braudpat

Hello from France

Of course I know the command MAPCREATECENTROIDS but there are some limitations (I would say BUG) :

An extract of my process ...

So you have many Closed classic 2D Plines and/or MPolygons with MAP ODs (Object Datas)

1) Keep these entities "in your bank" !

In fact keep of copy of all entities elsewhere in your drawing for example a copy at 10 000 meters (or yards) at right or left !

2) Run MAPCREATECENTROIDS and select all yours entities and a graphic ACAD Point (please on an OTHER layer)

will be drawn at the Centroid with ALL ODs (Object Datas) coming (MOVED in fact) from the Closed classic 2D Plines and/or MPolygons ...

So NOW yours Closed classic 2D Plines and/or MPolygons have NO ODs (Object Datas) = GRRR !

I delete them and move back my backup entities coming from 10 000 meters (or yards) at right or left !

3) Then I spend a lot of times to move my Centroid Points somewhere more esthetic or INSIDE the strange Polygons/Mpolygons (U, L, V, etc shape) ...

4), After many hours or days of work, I have something correct and NOW I generate a table (SDF, SHP, etc) with the XY (coming from Centroids) and ODs that I need ...

Do you see what I mean !?

I don't understand why the MAPCREATECENTROIDS command move ODs instead of copying them !!!

It could be an Option !!!

Tested on MAP 201X ... and again today on MAP 2011 and MAP 2014 ...

Waiting for others inputs/answers ...

Bye, Pat (AutoCAD MAP Fanatic - But too many bugs/limitations)

PS: And as far as I know, unfortunately same behaviour with the Beta 1 of MAP 2015 ...

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Of course I know the command MAPCREATECENTROIDS but there are some limitations

The only limitation I know is if you use it with polylines (avoid that as long as you can), positions of resulting points are then sometimes strange and/or wrong (e.g. inside the island), but I had no troubles yet when used with MPOLYGONS.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 10 of 11
andras.zelenka

Hi!

I rounded this problem, because this explicated solution takes too long, and cost a lot of handwork, therefore too risky. In my experience, the OS Mapguide suffer this labelling problem too, so the first divination was correct: The problem comes from the FDO provider.(?)

About Limitations of Map3D:

Try to update fields of thousand of features with Map3D Properties Tab, or Table view on SDF or SHP. I tried everything, and didn't find any good solution, so i need do this with QGIS, if i have more than 1000 feature.

Playing with the Auto Checkout button is better, but still not nearly useful.

Any Idea about this?

Regards,

Andreijj

Message 11 of 11
braudpat

Hello

QGIS is the right choice to get many Labels without surprise !

QGIS is TOO the right choice to merge Polygons related to a Field

My dream : a few nice QGIS Features INSIDE the FDO Engine !

Bye, Pat

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost