Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Tags

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dfaircloth927
1191 Views, 6 Replies

Creating Tags

Please view the attached PDF.

I am looking to create a tag that will show strut size using a letter, strut length in inches, and rod length in inches.

I have set property sets to auto calc the length of strut and rod length. I set a alphabetical value to it so all the information is there, I need to create a tag that will give me this information just by clicking on the hanger. The biggest probelm I'm having is there is 5 different struts drawn by its strut size and each individual one has its alphabetical value assigned and getting that information into one tag has became a pain. I got this drawing off of CADtutor's form and another individual is looking for the same information.

Take a look at the drawing i have posted and look at the property sets i have put into place. Let me know if its posible to create tag that will include the information needed.

thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: dfaircloth927

These look identical to a hanger assembly that I posted on another forum.  The problem that I ran into on those and the problem that you will run into is that you cannot schedule both the length of the unistrut and the length of the rods automatically.  The structural member length automatic property definition will only schedule the main structural member and not any extras that are attached such as the rod.

What i ended up doing was adding a manual property definition to the property set and called it TopOfRod and used it to input the bottom of slab elevation that the rod would be hanging from.  Then using the main unistrut elevation i calculated the length of the rods and scheduled that instead.  You could preset the TopOfRod elevation before you started drawing and then all hangers would start with the default value.  If you needed to modify individual hanger values you could.

Let me know if you need help setting this up.

Message 3 of 7
dfaircloth927
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Yes I got this off another form called CADtutor. So I'm not going to claim that I came up with the design. I have been doing some research tring to figure out how I can make a tag for this item that would be useful for pre-fab. I'm not sure if its possible but I'm currently watching a video on the hanger feature in the tool pallet. I'm hoping because the hanger feature is based off structural members that I can turn this into the hanger where you can adjust the length of the rod and strut and it all be one intity versus having to change the strut length and the rod length seperatly if that make sense.

From there once again not sure if its possible but with all being one part versus three different parts I'm wondering if you can create a tag that would pull information from the property sets that i have in place. I was able to create a tage where i could click on each different size being A,B,C,D, & E but my tage came out looking like this (A-23-?)

1st letter indicating what size based off the detail-2nd being length of strut-3rd being rod hight. The only thing i cant get in my tag is rod height because it will only let me click on one object being the strut and not both being strut and rod. I was able to do this by going to my style manager/architectural objects/structural member styles and in the description column i put which letter it went with because each one was created separately. I then went to document objects/property set def and created a property set that applied to objects for each different type. I then created a property set i called tag formula which applied to styles and definitions. then i created my tag which was applied to objects and uses the information from the Tag Formula. O yea i also created one for the rod which is just length.

I typed a lot so i attached some images below to show what I've done so far. For some reason it will only let me post 3 attachments so I'll do one more reply with another attachment as well.

Message 4 of 7

Attached is a snap shot from CAD of the TAG.

Message 5 of 7

So i was able to make the strut drawings work with the hangers where i can go to my tool pallet and click on hangers, select which type of strut i want click the conduit tell it how far apart to space the hangers along the run and it all worked. I think that makes it easier when applying hangers to multiple racks that extend for a great amount of distances and it will continue the hangers around 90's.

Now comes the probelm with the tag. The problem with the hanger is its based off a mid point. the hanger is centered along the conduit you select so you then have to tell it how far to offset the hanger each way to make the hanger big enough to fit all conduits as shown in the attached image.

So i'm not sure if this method is going to work because you somehow have to make CAD add the left and right offset to get total length. I'm able to strut type being A,B,C,D,& E and I'm able to get total rod length. the problem is for total strut lenght i get 3" 3" instead of 6".

Message 6 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: dfaircloth927

I placed the hanger assembly on Cad Tutor so everyone could use it.

I am not sure why you have multiple property sets for the types of hangers.  One will do.  Take a look at the included drawing.  I modified all of your property sets down to just one.  You have to manually enter in the height of the top of the rod in order for it to calculate the rod length.  The top of rod elevation must be above the elevation of the unistrut otherwise the tag will report an error.  The tag is built with the text you had in the drawing but tags are annotative so it looks larger than your text.  Your text is non annotative and 1" tall. 

You can set the default of the top of rod before you start drawing and it will be consistant for all hangers.

Message 7 of 7
dfaircloth927
in reply to: Keith.Brown

I see, thanks.

I've never really done a lot with the property set def. before and I know there are a lot of different things you can do with it so I'm trying to start messing around with it a little more.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost