Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEP 2013 Conduit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MLJUSTUS
659 Views, 4 Replies

AMEP 2013 Conduit

Hello. New to the board.

Is there an easy way to join 2 perpendicular conduits/pipes so that they form a bend? Sort of like chamfering two polygons? Is there a way for conduits to be chamfered to a standard radius?

Thanks.

LJ

Autocad MEP 2013

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
smbrennan
in reply to: MLJUSTUS

As long as your conduits are at the same elevation, all you have to do is click on the + after selecting the conduit. AMEP will make the connection automatically and add any additional conduit necessary.

One way that I personally accomplish something like this, is I actually copy the conduit (with my ORTHO set to ON) and rotate it 90 degrees, and move it to where I want it (again keeping ORTHO ON, this is to prevent accidentally snapping to items and bringing your conduit somewhere you don't want on your Z axis.).

If your elevations are not exactly the same, you will get a pop up saying it can't be done. If your elevations are spaced enough apart, AMEP will figure a 90, then a vertical offset. I don't think it has enough built-in intelligence for a kick.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 3 of 5
Keith.Brown

As the previous poster mentioned all you have to do is click on one of the plus grips and connect it to the other pipe.  The pipes do not have to be on the same elevation at all in order for it to work.  If the auto router can find a solution using the fittings in the catalog then it will.  If it finds more than one solution then you can switch back and forth between them.  There are some tips that can be used in order to make the auto router find more solutions. 

1.  Pull back the straights of the conduit away from each other.  This will give the auto router a better chance at getting a fitting to work. 

2.  If the conduits are at different elevations then you can physicall place an elbow on the end of one of the conduits and auto route from the end of the elbow.  This also help.

3.  After placing the elbow you can rotate it to a certain degree.  This will help the auto router find the correct bend for the second elbow needed.

Finally, as the previous poster said, just give into the fact that the auto router cannot find a suggested route.  You will have to manually place the fittings that you need.

Message 4 of 5
MLJUSTUS
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks guys. They are both on the same z but I still keep getting that dialog box. I've tried shortening/lengthening the straights one-by-one and  both at the same time, but I would still get the same error. BUT sometimes it works tho which is weird. It was working 3x before then BAM- it decides not too.

Are there any setups/preferences that I should be mindful of before I start routing to make it easier? I do have a number of conduits that changes z and meanders at the same time... Why can't Autodesk make z-changes, turns, and angles  easier! Smiley Mad

Message 5 of 5
smbrennan

One thing I've found is that even though my units are set, the difference in my Z axis can be smaller than that, and that will cause an issue.  Try changing your units to a decimal format (if not already) and increase your precision to the highest alowed.

If you can upload the file, I be happy to take a look at it for you.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost