Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pdf lineweight glitch

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
greta999
5024 Views, 13 Replies

pdf lineweight glitch

I am having problems using AutoCAD's embedded pdf writer.  If I print using an actual printer, everything looks fine.  If I use the pdf writer, items that are drawn in the same layer, with all the same attributes, show up differently.  Some are very heavy, some are very light.  I've double checked the attributes, restarted the computer and AutoCAD.  It appears the same (wrong way) every time.  Anybody have any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: greta999

If you zoom into those entities in your PDF driver, do they suddenly 'even out'?

And then there are all the other questions that follow if that does not do it:

Have you tried exploring any of the PDF settings?

Do you get the same isue with the DWF driver that's also built in?

Can you repeat in new files? or is it limited to a few?

Share a PDF with this issue and it's DWG if you can recreate uin a new file (after you try the items above).

Have you tried other PDF drivers to confirm where the issue is? Many are free... .

Message 3 of 14
wledlie

If you are using a newer version of Acrobat to view the pdfs after creation try looking in the preferences and making sure the tick box for 'Enhance Thin Lines' isnt checked, this can cause display issues. Have you printed the pdf;'s after creation to see if they print correctly?

Message 4 of 14
gccdesign

First of all, are you talking about how the PDFs look on the monitor? The monitor only has about 80 - 100 pixels per inch, and laser printers usually print at like 600 to 1200 dots per inch. So if you zoom in a lot on a pdf on the monitor it will look more accurate. If you zoom out the graphics card will do it's best to make it look accurate, but it can only do so much at that low resolution (of the monitor).

Second, I have found that there are settings in the pdf print drivers that can make quite a difference. I was having Acrobat Pro skip objects, like images, whole tables and sections of a layout, while PDF995 was printing mostly fine, yet showing non-printing lines as very light gray.

I changed a setting in the Acrobat Pro print driver, and it fixed it all as far as I have seen so far.

In the Windows printer settings I set the Acrobat pdf driver to "High Quality Print" and after this all was well with this print driver.

So yeah, explore settings.

GC

Message 5 of 14
greta999
in reply to: gccdesign

The problem is not a viewing issue at the monitor level.  My printed output from the PDF is also affected. As I stated above, if I print directly from the drawing to my desktop printer, it appears correctly.

It does not happen in every file, but once it happens, it is there every time I create the pdf. It most often affects text, but not always.  Text objects copied from one another appear differently.  And yet if I highlight both objects, all the attributes are identical.

This is the first I've been back to my desk, so I will check the settings as suggested and report back.  I will share the latest file as well.  I'm using the pdf writer that came with AutoCAD.  Do I need to look for anything special in a PDF writer, or can I use pretty much anything if I try to replace it?

Thanks for all the comments.

Message 6 of 14
pendean

What LT version? most of the current ones have custom settings for font handling with PDF output, you may need to set it to capture all (or none) instead of the default partial capture.

Message 7 of 14
greta999
in reply to: pendean

LT2010  I enclose a pdf sample.  Look at the break lines for TV Room South.  The top half is light, the bottom half is dark.  They have all the same attributes.  I believe that when I have the problem, it is always something appearing darker than it should, rather than lighter.  I also enclose the file that made the pdf, and it's xref.  What I couldn't include is the pen table.  I seem to be out of attachments.

Message 8 of 14
pendean

They don't look dark or light on screen zoomed into the elevation, and it does not print like that either using your PDF: does it print incorrectly for you (on paper that is, from the PDF)?

Message 9 of 14
greta999

That's very interesting.  It does appear different when I zoom into and out of the drawing, and when I print the pdf, the lineweight problem shows up in the print.  Not sure what to do.

Message 10 of 14
greta999

Also, my office mate sees and prints the same errors I do.

Message 11 of 14
pendean

Sorry, I'm not seeing any issues in the PDF or when printing your PDF in the free Acrobat 9 Reader: attached is a scan of a print of your PDF from my HP laserjet.

Message 12 of 14
vincebarbaro

I've been struggling with the same problem for months now, and although I have not found a (real) solution yet, If you plot it to DWF then open the DWF and print it to PDF, it should work.  I know this adds another step but it works in a pinch.

Looking forward to a real solution too! 

Cheers, V

Message 13 of 14
Sp4cebar

I know this is an old topic, but i struggled with this problem for quite a time and I want to share the solution that worked for me, for those who're still facing this problem. 

Check the lineweights. If they are 0.00, and you use monochrome as plotstyle, the pfd will show 'glitched' text and lines. Set a different lineweight and the problem is solved. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 14 of 14
pendean
in reply to: Sp4cebar

Thanks for sharing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost