Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please -- I need help installing my old AutoCAD LT 2011 on new Windows OS

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
ameliaks
1672 Views, 18 Replies

Please -- I need help installing my old AutoCAD LT 2011 on new Windows OS

Hi.. Last week I had a systems crash and had to replace my old Windows XP OS with Windows 7. In the process (I'm an architect who uses AutoCAD LT on the PC side of my Mac via Parallels), I lost AutoCAD LT 2011 on my PC side.

I thought it would be simple enough to reinstall it from Autodesk, using my serial #, proof of purchase, etc., but it's proving a real headache. I have some questions:

-- I don't see where I can download AutoCAD LT 2011; I just see 2012. Should I download the 30-day trial version of 2012 and hope to use my old serial number to upgrade to it?

-- Not seeing any other option, I DID download the 30-day-trial of AutoCAD LT 2012, but I can't even open or run the .exe file. An MS-DOS screen flashes for a moment, unreadable, and nothing happens.

Can anyone help me?

Is it possible that you purchase a $1,200 piece of software and there's no one at Autodesk you can talk to to get help reinstalling it when you have a system meltdown? God knows I should buy AutoCAD for Mac and never have to worry about the PC side again in my life, but I don't have an extra $4,000 lying around. 

I'm desperate here. Can anyone help me? Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
heinsite
in reply to: ameliaks

You should be able to reinstall if you have the following three things:

1.  Original installation disk;

2.  Product Serial Number; and,

3.  Product Key.

The last two items are located on the original packaging.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 3 of 19
ameliaks
in reply to: heinsite

Thanks for your response Dave. I unfortunately never received an installation CD for the software; just codes to download it online. Should I contact Autodesk perhaps and have them FedEx me a disk?

Thanks again for your response. Best, Amelia

Message 4 of 19
heinsite

Yes, I think so.  I would also suggest that you consider putting your AutoCAD software on subscription and in the future requesting that they always send you the boxed DVD with each update.  I've done this since 2004 and had several hard drive failures.  Having the actual disks available has saved me everytime.  I'm afraid that if you try and reinstall 2011 from a 2012 (trial) download you'll run into problems if you're not already a subscription customer. 

For software as critical as this I always feel uncomfortable with just a download version.  You need to keep track of all the codes, etc, and also make sure that you've backed it up properly and separately.  And while I've normally been pretty good about that stuff having something like the physical disk just makes life so much easier.

Someone at Autodesk should be able to help you.  Try and get them on the telephone and work this out next Monday.  I'm sure they'll get you going again.

Dave

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 5 of 19
ameliaks

Thanks again. Yeah, it was a huge mistake not to get the disk. I was trying to be careful and ordered a subscription, but of course that expired several days, literally, before my system crash. I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to speak with someone at Autodesk who can help me first thing Monday. Nonetheless I'm very disappointed that this should be such a time-wasting hassle, considering I have all of my proof of purchase and serial number information, not to mention that this software is so expensive in the first place (I guess not from the perspective of Autodesk) -- this should have held me up 45 minutes, not 4+ (?) days. Anyway thanks again!

Message 6 of 19
heinsite

There are some mistakes we only make once.  Happy trails tomorrow!  I think you'll be fine.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 7 of 19
pendean

Order product documentation and replacement software (cheaper than subscription)
http://autodeskdocandmedia.com/

Even less of a hassle: buying the disk/box product in the first place. And using the free 30-day trial download from Autodesk in the interim (it does not take 30-days for them to ship you a box/disk). Even better: downloading all the trial versions and storing them for possible future use/second copies. Trial version is the purchased version with a missing license number, it's not hobbled and can be turned into a licensed version with the codes you received from Autodesk.

Taking personal control of your purchases, at the time of purchase: priceless.

Message 8 of 19
ameliaks
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your helpful replies, Dean and Dave. Yes, I've definitely learned my lesson to acquire the disk when buying the software. Fortunately I've had some success this morning contacting Autodesk, so I expect to receive a link for reinstalling the software shortly. 

Thanks again!

Best, Amelia

Message 9 of 19
ameliaks

PS --

I received a link from Autodesk customer service for downloading AutoCAD LT 2011, so that's great (I'm downloading the .exe at this moment). I'm not sure though -- should I be able to download 2 copies of the software, one for my desktop and one for my laptop? Do purchases typically entitle one to 2 seats?

Dean or Dave, if you happen to know, please advise. Thanks!

Message 10 of 19
ameliaks

Never mind -- I just found out that 2 installations are fine. Thanks again and au revoir!

Message 11 of 19
pendean

Burn a copy to disk 🙂

Message 12 of 19
heinsite
in reply to: pendean

+1 on Dean's suggestion to burn a backup disk... just in case.  Smiley Tongue

You've also been fortunate here that your version was not too old... ie, more than 3 versions.  At that point things get dicey.

Glad it all worked out!

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 13 of 19
rhondaloggia

I have a similar problem but from a different angle.  My computer crashed so I could not back out the license.  I have the disk but no disk drive on my new laptop.  I have tried in vain to find a phone number to contact autodesk.  I need a link to download Autocad LT 2011 and I need to be able to activate it on my new laptop.  Any advice?

Message 14 of 19

customersupport@autodesk.com would be another avenue.

Have your Serial Number handy.

Autodesk Employees come by this Froum from time to time and have offered downloads of older software. One may read your thread and will let you know.

Message 15 of 19
philip.s
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hello Rhonda and welcome to the community!

Unless your license is on an active subscription contract, then the only currently available place to request previous version media / download links would be through our Customer Assistance form.

With that being said and as you're already here, I'll send you a Private Message (envelope up top next to your username) shortly with the requested download links.

Message 16 of 19
kamelkamel

Dear I have the same issue same version of autocad lt 2011 if can conduct me to the support phone or if you give me the link I will be very thank full

Message 17 of 19
pendean

Message 18 of 19
philip.s
in reply to: kamelkamel

Hi Kamel!

You can also access most current + previous supported version software download links directly through Matt, our online Virtual Assistant.

You can access Matt directly from any of the tabs on our Customer Service page by clicking on the ASK button following the “Get answers from our online Virtual Agent” text -> Download and Installation -> Software Download Links -> I need to redownload my product.

Message 19 of 19
kamelkamel
in reply to: philip.s

Thanks a lot every body Autodesk support team done it all

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost