Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't control the size of the multiline text box

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
katie1994
20426 Views, 31 Replies

I can't control the size of the multiline text box

This has been happening intermittently but now seems to be permanent. When I slect the Multiline tool, click to place the text box, then click to place the other corner the box ignores the size I set and snaps to as wide as the screen and one line high. It does this in several different drawings so it is not native to one. If I enter text and deselect I can adjust the handles and alter the text.

I have attached a screen shot to show. It doesn't matter how close or far I am zoomed in on the drawing.

For what it's worth I do not like the way the ribbon panel controls handle text, it usually takes multiple tries to get it to change the text height. I usually resort to using the Properties flyout but that adds mutltple steps to the process.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
Charles_Shade
in reply to: katie1994

Had that happen the other day and a restart of AutoCAD cleared it up.

May be worth trying a hard re-boot of the system as well.

Has not happened since.

As for the Ribbon and changing Text height - Yes it can be a bit cumbersome. For me it is a matter of slowing down and making sure the highlite of the text and mouse clicks in the Ribbon get registerd by the system. Or use Quick Properties. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 32
sthompson1021

Hi. with your text box issue, check your editor settings when it happens. Make sure that the WYSIWYG box is checked. I have it happen sometimes and no idea why it changes, but that setting will change on me.

Message 4 of 32
katie1994
in reply to: sthompson1021

Can you explain how to "check edititor settings?" I have never had to make any changes to this. 

Message 5 of 32
sthompson1021

When you start the MTEXT command, just right click and you will get the box that's shown in the pic.

Message 6 of 32
pendean

right-click while inside the MTEXT editor: a menu is presented with many options.
Message 7 of 32
katie1994
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Restart did not change anything. How do you do a "hard reboot?" 

As to adjusting text height, previous versions had the editing elements in the text box and it was very quick and simple to make changes. What was the point of adding to an already complex program by moving all of these controls up to the ribbon? Especially since they are now so finicky as to be almost useless.

Message 8 of 32
pendean

Is this a feear-of-the-Ribbon type question? Switch to Classic Workspace and get the old interface back then, it's still available and still an option in LT through 2014.

Hard Reboot: turn off your computer, count to ten, start it back uo.

Are you sure you're not clicking on something with a running osnap?
Or have a predefined MTEXT Width being set when you start MTEXT command?
Message 9 of 32
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

And. . . .

Message 10 of 32
pendean

And... what? you can't right-click browse around and discover things on your own?

Come on, don't fear the unknown, jump in already.

ScreenShot001.jpg

Message 11 of 32
sthompson1021

One more thing on the WYSIWYG setting. It is a drawing specific setting so you will have to change it in all files that you have the problem in.

Message 12 of 32
katie1994

Not fear of the Ribbon, one has to move with the times, it is frustration at the complexity of the ribbon. Seems to add layers of additional clicking and selecting.I was using 2008 and could arrange the tool panels to show the commands I used  most often in the order that enabled me to work effiently. The ribbon removes a lot of that efficency because now I have to search and dig to find the one or two tools I might need on a particular ribbon. I have spent some time adding and rearranging commands on the panels but that too is a laborious and finicky operation. Sooo much more difficult than in LT 2008. Just my opinion. (Note, I have no fear of adusting the UI to suit my needs.)

As to the other, I opened a new drawing with no objects and the same thing happens. I enter 0 at each of the prompts and get a small box. Then try again and the same thing happens, very wide box. What confuses me is that I have never entered in a specified size of text box, I eyeball it and then adjust is to fit after entering the text. So what happened to cause it to now have a size? It's one of those actions that I have always done without thinking and am pretty sure I did not type in a specified size.

So, how do I reset the window box to 0,0?

Message 13 of 32
katie1994

Sorry to be snarky but it would be a big help to all seeking enlightenment if answers contained a bit more direction. After all, if I knew that answer I wouldn't be in the forums asking for help.

So I opened a text box, right clicked in the box, in the pop-up menu selected the Editor Settings, and checked Always show WYSIWYG. Note, neither I or a coworker with a combined experience in Autocad of 40 years knew you could do this.

Biut the only thing that happens is that the box is just scaled smaller, same length, just all squeezed up together. See the attached images.

so, no solution yet.

Message 14 of 32
katie1994

Is this new? I have NEVER even heard of the setting let alone the need to set it for each drawing. Why wouldn't it be a global setting, what would be the point in having a text box that is 100' wide and 0' tall? 

Message 15 of 32
Charles_Shade

Ribbon: Took about an hour two years ago to set this up. 80+% of the Commands I use regularly perhaps.:

Ribbon.jpg

We are having trouble replicating the issue that you have with the size of the Box. Suggestions given are what has worked for me and the others responding.

Message 16 of 32
sthompson1021

Believe me, the text box thing drove me nuts for 2 days before I asked in the forum. What is your text height set to in the text style you are using. that contols the height of your text box?

Message 17 of 32
pendean

Can you post a DWG file with the problem?
Message 18 of 32
hwalker

Just been having a fiddle, and I believe I've found the problem.

The text styile your using is ANNOTATIVE isn't it?. That is why the text box snaps to the screen width when WYSIWYG is turned off, and changes to your other screen shot when it's turned on.

The solution is to use a text style that is not annotative.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 19 of 32
katie1994

Text height is always set to 0, scale is 1:1. Every drawing in our office is set this way.

Message 20 of 32
katie1994
in reply to: hwalker

Nope, font is Romans, annotative box is unchecked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost