Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Layer Question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
DaveT4287
348 Views, 3 Replies

Basic Layer Question

As a long time Microstation user now using AutoCAD 2014, I have a basic layering question that I need help with. I have a file being used as a Xref. (file-a.dwg)  When I change the color from red to blue,  the files it is being xref'd into it remains red (file-b.dwg).  How do I get this to update automatically to blue?  I also draw everything "ByLevel".  Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
bob_mpc
in reply to: DaveT4287

I am not sure that I understand properly, but:

The layers of the xref'd drawing in the main drawing are manipulated separately - if layer "Layer-1" in file-a is red, it can be blue in file-b (it is displayed in layer properties manager as file-a|Layer-1. And, anytime you reload file-a the geometry is changed, but not the layer properties.

This can be changed with visretain system variable. If it is 1, the settings you make in file-b take precedence over any changes in file-a. If 0 - the opposite, any time you open file-b you lose any layer adjustments of the layers of file-a you have done. I myself never work with visretain=0, but its subject of personal habits.

Boris
AutoCad LT 2021.1.1
Message 3 of 4
braudpat
in reply to: DaveT4287

Hello

+1 with Bob_mpc

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
DaveT4287
in reply to: bob_mpc

Thanks Bob, that's exactly what I was wondering.  Visretain=1 I think is the way to go.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost