AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Select all Types in Symbol Builder

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
larryg
835 Views, 3 Replies

Can't Select all Types in Symbol Builder

Hello,

I have 2013, and I'm trying to clean up the Catalog Database, and our custom symbols. I have several VFD symbols, and can see there is a DR family in the catalog, but it is not in the list under Type in the Symbol Builder dialog box. Is there a way to add this to the list?

Thanks,

Larry

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
testsubject
in reply to: larryg

I can guess why it is not available.

First, an explanation.

The list itself is automatically generated when you start the Symbol Builder. It get the list from the available template drawings (AT_*.dwg) located in the symbol library folder; i.e., \jic125.

For example, AT_HP_CR.dwg is the default template for a Horizontal Parent Relay. This .dwg has the common attributes that one would use in the building of a relay. The discriptor following the (CR), "Control Relays",  comes from a table in the default_cat.mdb database. The table is named _FAMILY_DESCRIPTION.

Now, as to why the template AT_XX_DR.dwg is not there. My guess is that there are so many differrent types of drives out there that it is very difficult to anticipate what attributes would be needed.

I rarely use the Symbol Builder because I have been using ACE since way before there was one and just build my symbols from scratch grabbing attributes from an already existing symbol if I need them.

Keep in mind that the "Type" is what is put into the "FAMILY" attribute so you can just pick (GNR) for your type and change it to DR after you start it.

I hope that helps.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 4
dantall
in reply to: testsubject

Please clarify what you mean by you can "change it to DR after you start"

Keep in mind that the "Type" is what is put into the "FAMILY" attribute so you can just pick (GNR) for your type and change it to DR after you start it.

Message 4 of 4
TRLitsey
in reply to: larryg

Hi there,

If you do end up using the symbol builder, maybe this post will help you out.

Good luck

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-forum/plc-schematic-symbol-name/m-p/7737032#M55816

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost