Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem in adding point to surface

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
vijayant.nit
428 Views, 2 Replies

problem in adding point to surface

I have got a csv file and want to add to the surface but it says error in adding point file.....dont know what to do. Size of the csv is 13MB and contains about 0.2million points

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rkmcswain
in reply to: vijayant.nit

Does the CSV file have any header lines in it?

I'm assuming this is a true comma separated ASCII file that can be opened in Notepad

As a test, carve out a few lines (±10) from the file and save as a separate CSV file, make sure there are no header lines and see if this will import.  Keep adding portions to this smaller file until it fails.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 3
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: rkmcswain

Note: You can have headers but you must remember to add a # before them then use the invalid character feature in the import type and set it to match (#).

It is simpler not to as Rick suggests but sometimes you need them to jog your memory.

The point import can be ropey with some characters, I have gone as far as to open the txt file and remove all Spaces using find & replace to get the import to work. If a number has a space before it it will throw an error.

Also if you have opened edited and saved this in Excel as a CSV file (and maybe other types). Edit the file in notepad and save it again. I have found that sometimes excel messes with the formatting or file settings but notepad will fix this.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report